Henderson or Pinnacle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shiri

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Regarding my last thread - "I can't decide which one of them to choose...
I really want it to be easy to wear and warm enough.(the 5mm)
I have the chance to buy the Gold Core in $100 less than the Hyperstretch, and I'm not sure if it easy enough to put on and maybe it's worth put some more money for it.
I can't try them on, because I'll buy it through the internet and someone will bring it to me. No other place here to try them on..."

I realized that Pinnacle is also a good option, which I even can try on here.
Did anyone try them both and can recommend?
Is the Pinnacle Elite is easy enough to put on, or the Elastiprene is a lot easier?
Is the Merino really make the difference? and how is the Merino-Elastiprene - Is it worth the extra $ for the combination between the two features?

Too many questions...:D

Hi Shiri,

I can only give you feedback about Pinnacles since I have the Merino Elastiprene 7mm jumpsuit along with the Merino Heated torso 3mm and the Merino hooded vest 7mm. I also have the Merino Apex boots 6mm and the Merino Kevlar gloves 4mm.

This gives me a huge protection against the cold water in Monterey which I dove last weekend; water was 47 to 54 degrees in some spots. I stayed very warm in my head, chest, groin, legs and my feet. I was very cold and uncomfortable with their gloves being only 4mm under these cold conditions.

However, once I would surface and my hands got out of the water the Merino would kick in. Let me explain, as my hands would start to warm up out of the water the heat was trapped by the Merino and by the time I got to shore, floating on my back my hands were literally hot.

The Merino linning makes it incredibly easy to get in/out of it. Pinncales also uses a very stretchy material called elastiprene that bends/stretches like you wouldn't believe. I'm in and out of my wetsuit in less than one minute, I kid you not.

Then I look around at all those putting on their Semi/dry suits fighting with the zippers. So If you are asking whether or not Merino works, heck yes. Ask any diver who dives merino tell you how hot the water is as they get out of the cold water and take off their suits. The water is steamy hot from your body.

Remember I dove 7mm in the head, 13mm in the torso, 10mm in groin, 7mm in extremeties and 6mm boots, 4mm in hands. My hands did get very cold and I got uncomfortable after 28 minutes in about 48 degrees of cold water.

I'm going to be upgrading my gloves to a 5mm pinnacle glove with merino.

Hope this helps you out...

MG

Pinnacle.

Hi all,

Regarding my last thread - "I can't decide which one of them to choose...
I really want it to be easy to wear and warm enough.(the 5mm)
I have the chance to buy the Gold Core in $100 less than the Hyperstretch, and I'm

I don't know anything about Henderson, but my Pinnacle is plenty warm up here in anything above the very low 30's.

My buddy gave me the "cold" sign and I couldn't figure out why, since the water didn't seem bad at all. :D

Terry

Thanks a lot guys.
Just to make sure - Is the regular Pinnacle, without the elastiprene, easy enough to put on & off, or is it a kind of a struggle,like when you are on a liveaboard and dive 3-4 times a day?

Thanks again!

I have both.

I actually prefer the Henderson because warmth is not my big challenge. The Pinnacle is made for a stouter person, it has a wide body and shorter legs.

Henderson is a longer cut. Pinnacle has a neck seal that I find constrictive, but you might like it if diving in chilly waters. Pinnacle customized my suit and has beter customer service.

Henderson. Their Gold Core is really warmer and dry quicker than any other brands' ones.

However, a Gold core isn't a option for an easy don/doff lover. You know your body shape better than anyone else. So, go figure.

Hyperstretch is really easy suit for don/doff purpose, but it isn't warmer than any other materials and doesn't last long.

Search is your friend. This brand and material has been covered so MANY MANY times on the board....

In addition, Henderson isn't "made in use" anymore. Their suits (not all) are also OEM in Asia factory as well.

Henderson is the option if you need warmth. My Henderson
3mm is warmer than my Henderson hyperstretch 5mm. Yes, it is correct the gold core is not that easy to put on and take off, but I have found that if you put lotion on before put on the suit it is much easier. Also, use large zip lock bags put on your feet and boy that suit goes on easy. The Henderson seems to have much better seals around the legs and arms and it does dry much faster. Fit is really the key so try some on at your LDS. Hope that helps.

Pinnacle....not only are the air bubbles in the suit bigger so they dont break down(for stretch) but the seals on them are amazing(neck, etc.) THe zipper defense system etc......I switched all of our suits to Pinnacle because they are not just a neoprene product like most suits, they have other features built in that make it a better suit......

Good luck and let us know how you like it!!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom