Henderson Hyperstretch warmth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khacken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been reading that the Hyperstretch is not as warm as other wetsuits. Would you say that a 3 mm hyperstretch is as warm as a regular 2mm? A 5mm hyperstretch the same as a 4mm regular wetsuit?

I just bought a 7 mm Hyperstretch and did some dives in 58 degree water and was toasty warm. Well, except for my head, because I didn't wear my hood. Ouch, talk about brain freeze.

khacken:
I have been reading that the Hyperstretch is not as warm as other wetsuits. Would you say that a 3 mm hyperstretch is as warm as a regular 2mm? A 5mm hyperstretch the same as a 4mm regular wetsuit?

I have three. a five and two 3's. Yes, that is about right. The cells get a bit more flattened so have less "r-value" or whatever you measure insulating properties in. I have the hyperstretch hooded vest and it makes for a versitile combo. These fabrics are very comfortable and custom-like in their fit. I wear the 3 on the first dive (deep, shorter duration) then I puty the dry 5 on after the surface interval and wear it for my longer shallow dive after adding 2 lbs. I take a lot of flack for the dry wetsuit on the second dive...but so what. Our water is 75 F now. Hope this helps.

Mr. Cold and I do not get along very well. I own 3mm & 7mm Henderson hyperstretch suits, as well as 3mm and 7mm "regular" wetsuits.

From that perspective, I would rate a 7mm hyperstretch as equivalent to a 3mm regular wetsuit.

I would rate a 3mm hyperstretch as minimally warmer than a skin.

The above comparisons are especially true as the hyperstretch suits age.

Hyperstretch wetsuits are wonderful for activities such as whitewater kayaking where mobility is required, but I will never again buy one for scuba diving.

Isn't it amazing what different perspectives everyone has?? I've never had the experience that Doc Harry has with his Hyperstretch suits, instead I find mine to be warm and comfortable.

I have to agree with Catherine though, they do seem to compress more than regular neoprene, but you can't beat their fit and comfort. I wear a 5mil when doing repetitive diving in water 70-80 degrees, but my husband wears a 3mil and is never cold. Like all wetsuit selection, it depends a lot on your cold tolerance.

In Belize at Christmas, the water was 79 degrees and I wore my 5mil for 4 dives a day on the Nekton Pilot and was never cold. Many of those that brought 3mil suits of any brand were commenting by day 2 that they wished they had brought thicker suits, and those with shorties were renting/borrowing from the Nekton rental stock after day 1. But my husband wore his 3mil all week and never felt cold once...go figure. :wink:

Hmmm, looks like for sure I need to get at least a 5mm then. I tend to get cold.

Doc Harry:
Mr. Cold and I do not get along very well. I own 3mm & 7mm Henderson hyperstretch suits, as well as 3mm and 7mm "regular" wetsuits.

From that perspective, I would rate a 7mm hyperstretch as equivalent to a 3mm regular wetsuit.

I would rate a 3mm hyperstretch as minimally warmer than a skin.

The above comparisons are especially true as the hyperstretch suits age.

Hyperstretch wetsuits are wonderful for activities such as whitewater kayaking where mobility is required, but I will never again buy one for scuba diving.

Wow. My first wetsuit was a 2-piece 7mm hyperstretch. I had a lot of dives with it in Monterey. The problem for me was that even with tailoring I couldn't get a snug fit. My next wetsuit was custom from Otterbaysuits and it was definitely warmer but mostly because it fit super snug. I let my friend use my hyperstretch once I got my new suit and she seemed to do fine with it. The hyperstretch was very comfortable and obviously flexible enough for two different types of people to use it.

I agree that the hyperstretch suits are well suited for kayaking. That is what I use mine for now when I kayak around Monterey. I use the 7mm farmer john bottom and wear a drytop over that.

marc s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom