Henderson Gold Core vs Henderson HyperStretch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UaVaj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Who has had a chance to wear both of these wet suits?

I am looking for: a Large in 5mil for winter usage in ~70 water and a 3mil for summer usage in 85~ water.

Comfort is my biggest concern. As for standard neoprene. I will pass.

Which full suit offers better comfort and mobility.

I have a buddy with the Gold Core. It does not fit me, but he rarely wears it since his Fusion drysuit came in. I have loved my Hyperstretch (the first version). I have stayed warm on many a cold dive and the range of motion is great.

I've worn both. The gold core is a little warmer for the thickness, but can be hard to get on and off since the lining can stick to sweaty skin. The hyperstretch is very stretchy and comfortable, easy to get on and off. It's also easy to find a good fit because of the stretch. The outer fabric tends to pill when in contact with velcro, which is ugly but does not affect warmth or comfort. Personally I prefer the hyperstretch but my buddy loves the gold core.

Good description. +1

I've tried both. The gold coare can be difficult to get on if you're sweaty and you will be by the time you start to put it on. Use of a rash guard my help in that respect. I'm not a fan (at all) of any discomfort or difficulty of gear. So I got the Hyperstratch. I do not have the new 2009 model Henderson Hyperstretch which on paper, appears to address every complaint I've had about it (including the pilling). I do really like my Henderson, though. It is very comfortable.

However, while not completely on-topic towards your question, I also dive an AquaLung SolAfx hyperstretch and it is equally as comfortable as the Henderson, but has lasted me about 200 dives (still looks brand new). I do SoCal shore diving (fine sand, coarse sand, rocks, kelp, cliffs, boats, etc. It is now started to show its wear. Contrast that to my Henderson, after 20-30 dives I started to feel the ambient temperatures, but never in the AquaLung.

While I wouldn't buy the first generation Henderson again, I would buy the 2nd, but would prefer the AquaLung. Keep in mind, also, I dive 7mm wetsuits. I'm switching to a drysuit next week.

I've tried both. The gold coare can be difficult to get on if you're sweaty and you will be by the time you start to put it on. Use of a rash guard my help in that respect. I'm not a fan (at all) of any discomfort or difficulty of gear. So I got the Hyperstratch. I do not have the new 2009 model Henderson Hyperstretch which on paper, appears to address every complaint I've had about it (including the pilling). I do really like my Henderson, though. It is very comfortable.

However, while not completely on-topic towards your question, I also dive an AquaLung SolAfx hyperstretch and it is equally as comfortable as the Henderson, but has lasted me about 200 dives (still looks brand new). I do SoCal shore diving (fine sand, coarse sand, rocks, kelp, cliffs, boats, etc. It is now started to show its wear. Contrast that to my Henderson, after 20-30 dives I started to feel the ambient temperatures, but never in the AquaLung.

While I wouldn't buy the first generation Henderson again, I would buy the 2nd, but would prefer the AquaLung. Keep in mind, also, I dive 7mm wetsuits. I'm switching to a drysuit next week.

What kind of Drysuit are you planing on getting?

I bought an 09 7mm hyperstretch and it is very warm, stretchy, and comfortable. It can be somewhat difficult to don, however I use a rashguard or simply grocery bags to get in it rather quickly. I have worn it in 47 degree water and only my hands/feet froze.

What kind of Drysuit are you planing on getting?

I got a Whites Fusion with the LE tech skin. This decision came after about 5 weeks of researching, fretting, and trying nearly everything on I could get my hands on. I was in a coin toss between the TLS 350 & Fusion. But my shop (any local shops rather) couldn't get me a TLS 350 in the time frame I required so I ended up with the Whites. Both are sweet suits.

I have a hyperstretch and a gold core. I prefer the hyperstretch for comfort, but prefer the gold core for warmth.

Bottom line is, all wetsuits that fit you properly are a bit of a pain to put on - some easier and some harder. If you are not whinning about what a pain it is to put it on, then it is too big.

Good luck.

The gold coare can be difficult to get on if you're sweaty and you will be by the time you start to put it on. Use of a rash guard my help in that respect.

I would think that a rashguard would mostly negate the benefit of the "Gold Core" though - it's designed, I thought, to make sort of a seal with your bare skin and limit water movement.

I tried one on and definitely had the problem of getting sweaty halfway into it. Apparently the rule is "wet to wet" or "dry to dry".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom