Helping Katrina Search and Rescue efforts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ishie:
For specific concerns about the stranded animals, and reuniting people with their animals, since some refused to leave because they wouldn't leave their best friends behind, there's an organization called Noah's Wish that responds specifically to animals in disaster situations. They were rescuing farm animals to try to help rebuild people's livelihoods and vaccinating dogs to stem disease outbreaks during the Asian tsunami, and I believe in this crisis, they were taking pets from people to foster homes until their owners could find permanent accommodations, as well as trying to rescue stranded animals, though clearly the priority with out and out rescue attempts right now is getting the people out of there. I'd never heard of Noah's Wish, but I saw them on the news, so donated to them as well as Red Cross, as much as I could afford to both. No diving this weekend, but well worth it.

Ishie,
The other excellent organization helping animals in need already is the Humane Society, you can help through their website: www.hsus.org They are fully geared for this type of thing internationally and are onsite in the areas affected by Katrina. :wink:
Also, though I haven't figured out how to volunteer with them, Discovery's Animal Planet has quite a large mobile veterinary set up for helping all of god's creatures. They responded here in NM in 2000 when we had the huge fires in Los Alamos. Seeing them pull into the area for animal refugees in Santa Fe truly brought tears to my eyes.

There are numerous good sites online to volunteer a place/bed/living space, for people displaced, and even to offer transportation for those needing it from shelters.

Lisa

Thanks for the info, next check I'll get some to them as well as more to Red Cross, SA and NW.

Clearly the focus now is on getting people out of that horrible situation, but I have to admit it brought tears to my eyes AGAIN as they were rescuing a little boy yesterday but his dog couldn't come, and the kid was screaming and crying for his dog until he vomited from the stress.

Ishie:
Thanks for the info, next check I'll get some to them as well as more to Red Cross, SA and NW.

Clearly the focus now is on getting people out of that horrible situation, but I have to admit it brought tears to my eyes AGAIN as they were rescuing a little boy yesterday but his dog couldn't come, and the kid was screaming and crying for his dog until he vomited from the stress.

I just read last evening in one of the news reports, there are at least 6 different agencies there for the animals. Unfortunately Noah's Wish wasn't on that list, however, they are working on the NO area out of Slidell. What I read from the various sites, were heartwarming and heartbreaking. It truly has me wanting to look more into the disaster training the HSUS does country wide for disaster preparation and how to volunteer with them. Everyone is working to also restore pets with their owners.

While I read many of the posts on the other threads, I can understand peoples anger and wish to blame anyone. I hate to see everyone arguing so. It is no one individual's fault but a collective lack of proper planning and resources. Maybe it's time we all actually put our heads and hearts together to find ways to actually help with solving the problems that have already occurred.

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom