Help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outlawaggie

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to photography (u/w that is). Why do my pictures all turn BLUE. see attached thumbs. I do great out of water.

What sytem are you using underwater?

Blue is usually too far away for adequate strobe coverage.

That first shot doesn't look blue to my eyes but it does look like you were too far away and there is some blur which could be a slow shutter speed or movement during the shot. It also looks like it is slightly overexposed...

well, i'm a newbie too... but the basics are:

1. get REALLY close (three feet max)

2. get lower than the subject

3. take a bunch of pictures. one or two will turn out ok.

several problems:

1. if you use no flash, your colors will suffer

2. if you do use flash, the particles in the water will reflect, creating "backscatter"

3. you can use a separate strobe (or flash) to avoid backscatter, but them cost $$. a compromise is a
"flash suppressor" tab that goes over the flash and
diffuses it. i have that, and it works ok... it's not ideal.

4. no matter what you do, you will probably have to use a Photoshop-type program
to retouch your photos, particularly starting out

hope this helps

yeah..... :lol3: What they said!

No other comments. You REALLY have to get close for the camera's internal flash to work. Else, like me, you get an external strobe.

:wink:

Just as an alternative, shoot with out the flash.

you won't get the colors, but you'll get a clear shot, no backscatter and you'll get the landscape background too... don't know what system you're using, but as a reference, with an Oly4040 (digital) I usually start with a lens setting of F1.8, shutter speed, not less than 1/30 (prevents most blurring) and go from there.. too light, move up in shutter speed to 1/60th or whatever or f-stop to the next 1 or 2 settings depending upon how light it is...

Hope that helps... but need to know what you're shooting with?? film? digital? Sea&Sea?, Oly?,

i use an internal flash, and when the visibility is bad (i.e. there's lots of particles
in the water), i don't even bother taking pictures. without a flash, everything
comes out washed out and blue. with the flash, there's backscatter all over
the picture.

the two internal flashes i've used (on a 35mm and 3.2 pixel camera, respectively)
are pretty much useless with any sort of particulate matter in the water. they
are essentially (at least in my hands) clear-water only tools.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom