Help with UW photo upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vigfus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hiya,

I'm thinking about getting some upgrade for my UW photo equipment. I started out with a Canon Powershot 950 and due to a non-diving related accident I managed to take it for an unvoluntary swim so I bought the Canon G11 when it came out. Both with OEM housings. Then I upgraded with an Inon S-2000 and two UCL-165 M67 macro lenses. Now I'm thinking about making an upgrade again, but am not sure how big.

Realistically the diving comes down to one trip per year where we go to Asia and look for macro. I like to take photos, but am not devoted to it out of the water. On land I'd say I'm going out with the sole purpose of phototgraphy two-three times a year and primarily look for small stuff. Every year I aim to put some of my UW pictures on standard canvas (60*50cm) as I feel it's a fun way to decorate the house.

That's a little background to help you with my two options.
Option one is a new strobe and two proper/big arms to swap for my old grip + small arm I bought together with the S-2000. I don't know if it's a possible setup or maybe even a plain stupid idea to get rid of the grip? I'm thinking that two strobes + long arms might help me with some pictures where I feel I only get one side illuminated due to a short arm and sometimes turning the camera 90 degrees. I also figured it might be useful practice in preparing for a DSLR in the years to come.

Option two is a budget DSLR. Since I'm into macro I would "only need" a decent beginner's lense for macro atm in that case. A colleague said that changes atm are at the sensor for DSLR. Would that mean that the new Nikon D3200 would be more suitable than the old D7000 for my kind of interests or just how much does "new" technology impact when shooting macro? Some really nice pictures I've seen online were taken with F11+ and the limit for the G11 is F8. I'm not sure how much impact it has once you're in the water or if most pictures are taken with say F5.6?

Then it's my budget. Would it even be possible to get a decent kit for USD3000? I have no preferences when it comes to brands so other brands might be on the verge of releasing new models? I just took D3200 as an example since I read a good review about it (not a UW review though).

If there are things I should have mentioned, please ask and I'll see to it.

Best Regards,
Vigfus

Sorry for the long post but my head is just bursting with questions
confused.gif

i'd say stick with the G11...maybe get another strobe.

Compact cameras have more depth of field of DSLR your F8 corresponds to F22 because the sensor is smaller have a look at dof master

The G11 is a great camera for macro
Invest in an ultralight base plus two 5" arm segments for your strobe if you don't have it already
It makes a hell of a difference to have arms that can go in any position
Once you have done that you can consider if you need another strobe I personally like to emulate natural shadows as I saw the fish
A focus video light that can act as filler to remove shadows would be my next choice if I was shooting macro and not another strobe
I would instead get a second strobe for wide angle but as you go for macro I would not bother
Your kit is good maybe only needs some optimisation
Do you have some pictures to look at?

Last edited:
Thanks for your input chile and Interceptor!

I put up some pictures from my last two trips on Flickr - UW photos - a set on Flickr
The smaller the target, the more one can see the effect of the small arm for the strobe when tilting the camera 90 degrees - especially on the frogfish where I unfortunately was in a hurry :/

Best Regards,
Vigfus

Do you have two diopters stacked in those pictures? Perfect black background and the diopter give the shallow depth of field you need to make the focus area stand up.
Just get an arm, the shadows in your pictures are good when the strobe reaches out

I personally don't like lack of shadows but again this is subjective

The pictures with the imperial crab on the nudiebranch, the leaf scorpion fish and the silver-blue nudiebrach are shot with only one lens if I recall correctly. Those objects are too big for two lenses because if I zoom out too much I get the port window look (or part of it) due to the adapter for the lenses on the housing (as seen on two of the pictures).

Thank you for the input Inceptor!

Back
Top Bottom