Help with U-W camera decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rambler358

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, after doing some research I've been able to come up with 2 underwater camera setups right around the $200 mark. The Bonica Snapper XP (3.2MP digital) and the Nikon Coolpix 3200 (also 3.2MP digital) w/underwater housing. The Bonica would be a new camera, while the Nikon is used but in excellent condition with a new u-w housing.

So for those of you in the know, which would be the better of these 2 setups? Or is there something better at the $200 mark which I should be looking at? The camera would just be used for underwater photography while vacationing and the like, as I already have a DSLR setup for everything else. The main thing I'm looking for is picture quality with a digital setup, and that the camera be able to go to around 100' depth.

Any comments or information would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

~Ron

There's a reason those two aren't in the list, actually a couple of reasons.

1 - they are older models
2 - no one I've come across uses them

If you are looking at 3.2MP cameras head for the Canon A75, I have personal experience with it and love it. There are others with more MP in this range that should also be fairly inexpensive to pick up. I think the newish A640 is only around $230.

Those prices are without housings which usually run around $170ish for the Canon (which I also use and adore).

$200 isn't a lot to work with if you are looking for a complete unit (camera and housing) and quality.

I am not an underwater photographer or very experienced in this area but have you considered just getting a good housing for your dslr. Seems like that camera will probably be better then any new cheap camera that you get and is at least worth some research.

Thanks for the info. Actually, the Bonica Snapper XP is a current model. Though after reading more, it only offers digital and no optical zoom. I've read reviews of the Nikon Coolpix 3200, and it seems to be pretty decent. So the Nikon 3200 and a Fantasea u-w housing seems to be a pretty good deal for right around $200.

WhitmanDive:
I am not an underwater photographer or very experienced in this area but have you considered just getting a good housing for your dslr. Seems like that camera will probably be better then any new cheap camera that you get and is at least worth some research.
Actually, I have researched that a bit. For my Konica-Minolta Maxxum 7D, a decent u-w housing is around $500-$700 - which is more than what I want to spend considering I don't plan on using it that often really.

alcina:
mmmhmmm...might want to ask around about Fantasea housings...
Well, I did some searches on the Fantasea housings, and it looks like their quality control can be a bit iffy. While searching Fantasea, I did come across those $35 Underwater Housing Cases that are rated to 56', and people seem to be generally pleased with those especially considering the price. So that may be my 2nd (and cheaper) option if a Fantasea housing isn't the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom