Help with Trip Planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j_spot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Its my second favorite time of year. The trip planning stage. (first favorite being the trip going)

My family is taking a christmas vacation - 13 of us. 7 for 2 weeks, 6 for 1. In the past we have been to Maui and stayed at the Mana Kai in South Kihei. Great resort on a great beach in a nice quiet area just out of town and word must have got out - its all booked :(

So onto new things for us. Were looking at all islands because we havent been to anything but Maui. We like topside and shore activities (snorkel/boogie board etc) as only 2 of us (maybe 5 by December) are divers.

I was leaning toward the Big Island because I really want to do a night manta dive, but while researching locations to stay at with VRBO and the Big island Revealed (my copy is in the mail) I seem to have realized something I didnt know previously. - It looks like the Big island has very few beaches. Being a young and still growing island that makes complete sense, but I hadnt thought of it before. Is my belief here true? Also, while looking at VRBO what communities should I be searching? We want sandy beach front with alright swimming.

We are also looking at Kauai, but arent really sold on the weather. If its the same as Maui, then Im never going to a certain travel agent for info again.

As for Molokai and Oahu - I know nothing about them. We are looking for quiet, but with easy access for things to do.

Any tips for me?

The beaches are quite fewer on the Big Island, but that's why the diving is generally better when it comes to nearshore visability. In the 9 and a half years I've lived here I've seen brown water from storms twice, both from absolutley huge rainstorms and limited to a short length of coastline, never have seen brown water from surf although I've seen surf you won't want to dive in. The last two times I landed on Maui, the island was ringed by brown for a couple of days.

Christmas time is kind of a crapshoot as far as surf and hanging out in the water on the beaches. Big northwest swells caused by storms elsewhere, that don't affect the weather here, can happen that might keep you out of the water, but it's not likely it'll be every day if it even happens at all.

The Big Island also has fewer large hotel and condo complexes compared to Maui, so your choices might be a bit fewer. If you want a resort with a sandy beach you'll be looking up north at the Marriott, Mauna Lani, Hapuna Prince or Mauna Kea (if it's reopened by then) and to some extent the Four Seasons (although I don't consider it a water frolicking type of sandy beach). If you are willing to drive there are pockets of sandy beaches along the coastline, some of which you may have to walk into.

There's tons to explore or do on the Big Island, it's not something you can drive around in a day or two and think you've seen most of it, but the shopping is not up to Maui or Oahu. Things will be spread out, so you'll need a few cars for a group that size unless everyone wants to do the same thing together.

As far as tourist numbers go, Oahu is tops, Maui next then followed by the rest. I think the numbers on Kauai are lower than the Big Island, but when I've been there it seemed far more crowded (I think because the developement was limited to a couple of spots and all the tourists went to the same spot) on the beaches than in Kona. Each island has it's own charm and there's really no "best", it's all dependant on your tastes and expectations. I've liked all the other islands, although I've gotta say I'm not really into the Waikiki area on Oahu for more than a day or two at a time (the rest of the island is pretty nice).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom