Help with swim with whales!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaman33,
The Vava'u group is quite a bit more civilized than the more isolated Ha'apai group, and much easier to get to. The main town of Neiafu supports a large community of US expats (or the other way around) and is a center for yachties/cruisers. You'll find just about everything you need or don't need in Neiafu from Capucino to wifi. It is very traveler friendly. There are several dive ops there that will take you on daily dive/snorkle with the humpbacks, right from their docks. Diving around Vava'u is quite good.

Tonga in general is difficult to get to, Vava'u a bit more so. (the old joke was: "it's not the end of the earth but you could see it from there") I've usually flown to Fiji, spent a few days there diving then hopped a regional carrier like Air Pacific for the short flight to Tongatapu connecting to the local carrier (Chathams Pacific, currently) for the quick flight to Vava'u. Tongatapu is not too interesting, you could see it in a single day or skip it without remorse.

A backpack-type alternate, if you have a low budget and lots of time, is find the inter island freighters and get to see many of the island groups you would otherwise fly over.

1erCRU,
Thanks for the information. I heard the Vava'u group is great for the whale watching, but I heard that it can be very croweded during this time of year due to the whales. Can you recommend where to stay? I would love to dive, but my main goal is to see the whales. If I do dive it will be an added bonus. Thanks again.

1erCRU,
Thanks for the information. I heard the Vava'u group is great for the whale watching, but I heard that it can be very croweded during this time of year due to the whales. Can you recommend where to stay? I would love to dive, but my main goal is to see the whales. If I do dive it will be an added bonus. Thanks again.

I can't imagine Neiafu being crowded, ever! I have heard (but not seen) humpback whales singing while diving there. On one dive there we all heard a Blue Whale's song, pretty unique.

I haven't spent much time there in shore-side accommodations. I've only stayed at the Paradise International and would only recommend it for a very short 1 or 2 night stay, if you are not fussy; it really is at the long end of the building material supply chain. Check out: Vava'u Islands, Tonga, South Pacific for some better places to stay/ideas/options.

Can u swim with humpbacks from tongatapu or only vava'u?

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

You can also come visit us in Okinawa from Jan-April to swim with the humpbacks. A little easier to get to then Tonga and great diving to go along with it.

I spent about 2 weeks there a few years ago, and had a great time with Dive Vava'u. I don't think there were any liveaboards (as far as I noticed) - all the ops I saw were land based. The owner-operators Karen and Paul were both wonderful, along with Isi (one of the guides). You'll definitely want to book at least a few days (or as many as you can) for the best chance to see whales, as there was a day we saw nothing, and a day or two where all the whales were on the move, so it was sort of pointless to get in the water. Also note that Sunday's are a national day of rest, so there's no whale watching that day (since it's illegal for most types of work then).

Yes, the rules are no more than 4 people (plus a guide) in the water at once, but I found that to be quite reasonable. During my time, we never had more than 8 guests on a boat, and often closer to 6, so two groups of 4 alternate. If you've seen other pics of loosely/non-regulated snorkel encounters elsewhere for things like whale sharks, with dozens of people splashing about the surface after one or two whale sharks, those are frankly quite the [-]cluster f#@%[/-] mess, generally chasing the poor whale shark away. A small group of swimmers not sprinting on a direct intercept course is a lot less threatening, which in turn decreases the likelihood of the whale/whale shark/etc running away.

I only did two dives there, both of which were a little lackluster IMO (though I did see a pretty cool electric flame scallop on one of them). Also of note is Dive Vavau uses steel tanks, so you'll need to adjust your weight accordingly if you're used to aluminum ones.

I'd be happy to answer any further questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI BSOD,
Thank you very much for your post. If you don't mind I have a bunch of questions. Where did you stay when you were there? How many days of whale watching/swimming did you do? Any recommendations would be great. This is a once in a lifetime trip for me since it is going to be a lot of travel and expensive, most due to the flights. Also I will be traveling alone.

BTW great shots! Were you shooting a wide angle lens on the whale shots?

Thanks, again.

- I stayed about half the time at Mala Island, which is a bit of a ways from town (~10 minute taxi ride if I recall, then a short boat ride across the channel). Honestly, it's rather rustic, and was most definitely showing its age, and mosquitoes there were pretty vicious (even when using high DEET repellent). However, the workers and manager (who was also one of the owners) at the time were very friendly and helpful. Trip Advisor reviews indicate it's a new/different manager than when I went (and maybe other new staff?), so I'm not sure how that'll be. The snorkeling just off the beach there is good, but I'm not sure if I'd stay there again if I went back. Maybe for a few days. If they renovated the place, it'd be a nice spot. The dive/whale watching boat picks you up from the dock there (or whatever resort you're at).
- The other part of the time I spent in town at Adventure Backpackers - my first time at a hostel (albeit in my own room). I think they'd recently changed owners, and I liked my time there. Friendly folks, no mosquitoes, conveniently located in town - a short walk from Dive Vavau's shop/dock. Easy to meet/chat with other travelers there (though that'd depend on the people staying there at the time). A handful of us were on the same whale watching tours/trips, so we had a nice little group for a while. If you're travelling alone, (and don't need fancy accommodations) I'd definitely check the place out. One of the others staying there switched to some hotel (sorry, forgot the name) a block or so down the main road, for a similar price.

- 9 days of whale watching, two of which were combo days (whale watching, then a 1 tank dive).

- Thanks! Nope, no wide angle (which I tried to order, but couldn't get in time for my trip).

Last edited by a moderator:
Get AOW then Drysuit certified.
Then simply drive a car to Tadoussac here in Quebec. Or in Rimouski - actually rental & food in Rimouski will be cheaper than Tadoussac as being less tourist-ty.

There! I just saved you 3k$ (plane & hotel costs) that you can invest in courses & gear. From the Boston area, Montreal is a 6 hour drive. Tadoussac or Rimouski is another 6 hour drive (I do it in 5 hours).

* Bonus * dive the wall, it's a drift dive.

HI,

I am looking to live out a dream and head to Tonga to possibly swim with the Humpbacks. Unfortunately, I am on a limited budget so I will not be able to do a live a board. The airfare alone from the eastcoast of the US is a killer!!
I have been doing some research but I am so undecided on where is the best place to go either Vavau or Haapai island chain? Has anyone done this being land based? I know there is no guarantee but I have to try. Also, how is the diving in Tonga?

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:
Get AOW then Drysuit certified.
Then simply drive a car to Tadoussac here in Quebec. Or in Rimouski - actually rental & food in Rimouski will be cheaper than Tadoussac as being less tourist-ty.

There! I just saved you 3k$ that you can invest in courses & gear. From the Boston area, Montreal is a 6 hour drive. Tadoussac or Rimouski is another 6 hour drive (I do it in 5 hours).

* Bonus * dive the wall, it's a drift dive.

I don't understand the logic of, "I just saved you $3k of diving so you can buy more gear and practice for diving"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom