Help with SDHC cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am getting a 32 gb sdhc card. What is the difference in the speed of the cards? I will want to film in 1080p and 720p which ones are for which? I have seen 4,6,10 whats the difference? I have one sdhc card already that is 50x: 8.2MB/sec read rate - 7.7MB/sec write rate that I want to use for the 1080p. It just wont work in my new camera that shoots in 720p. Any help appreciated!

I think it's up to the camera look at the specs some won't acept the SDHC cards, they just are not compatible and then some wont except certain sizes. As for the write/Read speeds I do not think it will matter to much, I am not a professional photographer or card expert by any means but I think the speed of the card will not affect the quality of your video or photo's. It will just take a little longer to record/transfer the video off/on to the card.

I use the Sandisk Ultra II in 16gb and 32gb in my Nikon D90 and its 720. They are marked 15mb/s.

SanDisk (along with Matsu****a and Toshiba) basically invented the SD-card format, and SanDisk has always been a leader and standard-setter in the Flash market, so I also happily stick with them (and no, I am not a marketing person for them nor a stockholder!).

In general, SD card speed class ratings measure the minimum sustainable write speeds in megabytes per second, as opposed to the "speed rating", which is the maximum possible write speed.

So, for photography and videography, what should be of most concern is that class rating, not so much the speed rating. And yes, 6 should currently be considered the minimum there, although higher resolutions call for faster cards and a speed class of 10 might soon become the minimum.

The original SanDisk Ultra II's are rated 10MB/s, while the Extreme III's are rated 20MB/s, although SanDisk later upped those ratings by 50%. From what I can figure out, the Extreme III series is now simply becoming the Extreme SDHC series, but with the same speeds.

Last edited:
I think it's up to the camera look at the specs some won't acept the SDHC cards, they just are not compatible and then some wont except certain sizes. As for the write/Read speeds I do not think it will matter to much, I am not a professional photographer or card expert by any means but I think the speed of the card will not affect the quality of your video or photo's. It will just take a little longer to record/transfer the video off/on to the card.

According to my T2i owner's manual, shooting 1080P video requires at least class 6 SD cards. It says that slower cards will cause the camera to run out of buffer space and video recording will become unstable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom