Help with North Sulawesi Itinerary for Newer Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went with Murex and dived the trio.
Bunaken from Manado, then a boat ride to Bangka and then a boat ride to Lembeh.

I like the macro world, so Lembeh was amazing.

Between Bunaken and Bangka, I'd go with Bangka.
Bangka coastal sites were better than Manado coastal sites.
But trips to Bunaken from Manado were very nice as well. Deep wall dives.

If I were to do it again, I'd go with Bangka and Lembeh.
But both would need a shore house-reef.
Because I did one or two house reef dives at Manado but the Bangka and Lembeh resorts didn't have house reefs and that was unfortunate.

Bangka and Lembeh resorts didn't have house reefs and that was unfortunate.
Yes they do!

@outofofficebrb and I did a couple of house reef dives at Murex Bangka including a night dive where it appeared that our lights were attracting every damn fish in the sea as they were bouncing off of us until we switched our lights off.

Lembeh Resort also has a steep sloping house reef, not much coral, but I spotted my first blue ring octopus there on my first dive there back in 2013.

If I were to do it again, I'd go with Bangka and Lembeh.
But both would need a shore house-reef.
Because I did one or two house reef dives at Manado but the Bangka and Lembeh resorts didn't have house reefs and that was unfortunate.

Umh… not really.. at bangka, bastianos coraleye and murex have a very nice house reef… the only drawback at murex is that due to the position on the cape usually there is current and also waves… but the corals are beautiful…
The first photo is from bastianos house reef that was also a great dive spot… the second was from coraleye house reef ..

2DC0307E-5D30-47F6-B495-70CAF1D853DC.jpeg
B694DE11-DE7A-4C59-8C7F-E366474AF8EF.jpeg

Anyone know how to travel to Bangka by public transport?
From Manado there is public ferry to Bunaken and bus to Bitung(for Lembeh) but absolutely no idea how to get to Bangka(never been).

Cheers.

As other people say there is public boat from pantai Surabaya/likupang to lihunu.. but there are many resorts boats every day for guests or fuel/food…

As other people say there is public boat from pantai Surabaya/likupang to lihunu.. but there are many resorts boats every day for guests or fuel/food…
But how about the onward journey to Bitung for Lembeh?
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not too big on packages like this. I like to buy services a la carte, and dive or snorkel according to how I feel on a given day.
That package will save you a lot of hassles and time on transport if you want to visit those three places.
You can contact Murex for a accommodation + transport package.
Good luck.

But how about the onward journey to Bitung for Lembeh?
the two times i did bangka and lembeh on the same trip i took a car from likupang to bitung .. less than an hour if i remember correctly .. 😉

but in my mind only if you are a young backpacker…
And without 40Kg of camera and dive gear

And without 40Kg of camera and dive gear
Never travelled with camera or over 20kg of dive gear(full tec gear included).
I also have done it a few times for not bring any diving gear except computer, mask and thermal. 7kg was all I have.
My concession to age is hand trolley for the check bag and porter.

Surely … but I’m struggling to understand why you are looking for public transport to go to bangka and lembeh… 😅 it can be an experience…but in my mind only if you are a young backpacker….
Age is not a reason why anyone cannot use public transport anywhere in the world.
Public transportation is part of the fun for me to travel. I could have close interaction with the local by watching them and vice versa. Private transfer will whisk you from A to B in no time at all. But the local transport will make numerous stops along the route to pick up passengers, meal/toilet break etc etc. And in few cases I even have a quick glimpse of the locals in colourful tribal costumes in countries like Northern Laos and Northern Thailand in SE Asia eg. A Kayen tribe woman(long neck) sitting across me in a songthaew(two benches pick up) in northern Thailand(on the way to Mae Sai by Burmese border). Couple of tourists were busy taking picture of the "poor" woman with no consideration. Long last memory. Priceless.

We all have different requirement in life. NO right or wrong!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom