Help with my strobe position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torcatdog

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for input regarding positioning my strobe/arm.

I will be shooting an Oly Sp-350 with an Inon D2000s, shooting mostly in sttl mode via an optical cable, (clear pic film over my camera flash). I have an ultralite tray with maybe a 7" grip, 5" and 3" extensions. I plan to not use any zoom if possible. I expect the best pictures to be of subjects between 6 feet and 6 inches in distance
(with macro setting and strobe diffuser for the close-ups)

I have read a 20 degree by 20 degree offset is good.?

I have seen double strobes set up to the outside, should a single strobe be hanging out to the side as well?

It seem like the strobe head should be located slightly to the side, yet over the camera and angled slightly down? or should it be more on plane with the camera lens? I figure that the way to avoid back scatter is to avoid a direct reflection back to the lens.

Does anyone have a picture of a rig with one strobe in an ideal/typical position?

Thanks in advance for any tips! 4 more days - DIVE! DIVE! DIVE! COZ

The position of you strobe will change from shot to shot. That is why it should be on an arm of some type.

Why not use your zoom feature? I use mine all the time. It works well as long as you are not too far away from the subject for it to work properly.

Click on "My camera rig" link below to see where mine is. I'm not saying it's in the politically correct place but I bend the arm to suit the need.

Yup, it will change depending on what you are shooting.

If I'm right on top of my subject, my strobe my be resting right on the housing - very near the edge of the port.

Sometimes I'll have it as far as my arms will reach to one side - or even straight up. Two days ago I had my strobe pretty well straight UNDER my housing :wink:

Practice with it on land to see where your cone of light goes. You want to paint your subject with the edge of the light - not centre the light on your subject. This will help reduce the dreaded backscatter.

I also use zoom quite a bit. NOT to get closer to something that is simply too far away, but to fill the frame more with a skittish creature etc. It's a tool like everything else on your rig...it's a matter of trial and error to see what works for you.

Remember Shoot, Review, Adjust, Shoot, Review, Adjust - repeat as necessary!

Have fun!!

I have taken about 130 pics in the last two days experimenting. Thanks for the "paint your picture" thought alcinda. I have noticed that a glancing flash delivers better overall detail than a direct hit, but did not put two and two together! Also the histogram feature is way too cool! Facts don't lie!

My intuition has led me toward a very similar configuration to your's Gilligan...

Nice DIY tray by the way!

I figure that the closer to the subject, the closer the strobe to the housing and visa versa. My arm parts are easily adjustable, here is an image.

The zoom feature is not taboo, just another variable that I am trying to reduce while I get off the ground. At 8mp, I look forward to tweaking a little after the trip.

Under the camera strobe position? good for the shooting at an upward angle???
very creative! By the way, where do you find all of those nudies???? I really enjoyed your gallery alcinda!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom