Help With Making an Online Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckDiver1321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Okay so, my girlfriend is looking at buying a new ScubaPro Everdry 4 online. problem is sizing. She figures she's a size large but some measurements are right on the line. Max waist size is a 32". She's a 31.5". The hips are right along the same lines as well. Is that going to create a size issue when she puts on undergarments or even when she puts the suit on at all? Or should she just go one size up to an XL?
Thanks

My wife was measured up in a dive shop and her suit custom made to fit. She still needed a bit of an alteration after a few dives because it was a bit loose at the shoulders. This was done free of charge. It would worry me to order a suit online, but perhaps you are getting such a cheap deal the risk is worth it.

Im tall and skinny, I had the dive shop find an employee the same height and weight try it on and model it in front of a webcam. Weird but it worked.

I would not buy any expensive scuba equipment without fitting it to make sure it's exactly what I need and fits the way it should. try to find a LDS that stock the suits, find the right fit and then order.

The drysuit needs to be able to accommodate the diver wearing her thickest/bulkiest undergarments.
If she doesn't already own those undergarments, she'll need to do a little guesstimation.
In general, drysuit sizing charts take into consideration that the diver will be wearing undergarments of "moderate" thickness.
Do the best you can with the sizing charts and your own measurements. Don't hesitate to ask the online retailer for help with sizing.

If your girlfriend insists on purchasing a drysuit online, then please make sure that retailer has an exchange/refund policy in place. Sizing is so critical when it comes to being comfortable in a drysuit. It really helps to have an experienced drysuit diver on hand to help her determine whether the suit fits. Baggy suits with extra material in certain places will trap air and make it more difficult to manage the drysuit bubble. If the suit is too tight, it will restrict arm/leg movement and will not allow the undergarments to insulate properly. FYI, certain neck/wrist seals (particularly, the bellows-style ones) come in different sizes, too.

Several years ago, I purchased my first drysuit (Bare Nex-Gen) online. I ended up having to exchange the suit for a different size. Waiting for the initial order, shipping the suit back, and then waiting for the correct size to be sent took about a month, but in the end I had a drysuit that fit.

Good luck with the process...

I would not buy any expensive scuba equipment without fitting it to make sure it's exactly what I need and fits the way it should. try to find a LDS that stock the suits, find the right fit and then order.
so you tell the op to go to a LDS try the suit on and get fitted correctly THEN order online??? Not very nice of you..like a cheap date you would use/abuse and not call back.. tell the LDS that is what you plan to do BEFORE wasting any of their time..And people wonder why some LDS now charge a fee for trying on gear..

Visit your local dive shop, try the suits on, discusss pricing, order from your LOCAL DIVE SHOP... Honestly most LDS will work with you on pricing, don't be afraid to ask, in many cases the more you spend the more you save. Just don't use your LDS like a walmart changing room...

so you tell the op to go to a LDS try the suit on and get fitted correctly THEN order online??? Not very nice of you..like a cheap date you would use/abuse and not call back.. tell the LDS that is what you plan to do BEFORE wasting any of their time..And people wonder why some LDS now charge a fee for trying on gear..
Visit your local dive shop, try the suits on, discusss pricing, order from your LOCAL DIVE SHOP... Honestly most LDS will work with you on pricing, don't be afraid to ask, in many cases the more you spend the more you save. Just don't use your LDS like a walmart changing room...
I agree that an LDS with a knowledgeable staff can help the customer select an appropriately sized drysuit. Under certain circumstances, the shop may be able to offer an in-water demo of the drysuit. That kind of experience would be invaluable. Moreover, store employees could also help educate the customer about trimming neck/wrist seals and maintaining the suit. Unfortunately, not all brick-and-mortar dive shops are very helpful.

Several years ago, when I was shopping around for my first drysuit, I visited 4 different dive shops in my area (San Diego, CA) to educate myself on brands/models/pricing. Two of those shops didn't have drysuits in my size to try on. The suit would have to be ordered only after I committed to purchasing it. The other two shops couldn't even quote me a firm price on the DUI suits I tried on -- presumably this gave them more wiggle room on price negotiations after they had gauged my interest/budget. It was clear that the store employees were working off commission because I was getting the hard "up sell." According to the employees, I had a difficult-to-fit body type (which was news to me since I'm a "medium" in the vast majority of brands) and a stock "medium" wouldn't fit me. I was strongly advised to order the Signature DUI Series in order to have the customized sizing that my difficult-to-fit body type required. The DUI brand was described as the "Cadillac" of drysuits, the "best of the best." I was discouraged from getting the shoulder-entry lower-priced DUI offering (TLS SE) because it "doesn't work as well" and "we don't sell many of those." I was advised to spend a "little" more to really get something I want (pockets, p-valve, front-entry, two-tone color, etc.). The employees, who by the way had zero drysuit diving experience, gave me the impression that I needed to spend $3,000+ on a drysuit in order to get one that fit. I ended up ordering a stock Bare drysuit package online for $750 (including undergarments, tax, shipping). That drysuit system has served me well for hundreds of local dives. I'm very happy with the purchase.

San Diego is home base for DUI. Many of my friends in the local dive community have DUI suits and are happy with them. In the past few years, I've discovered that a medium DUI suit fits me quite well. If the dive shop employees had been more honest/accommodating/accurate with sizing issues, I probably would have ended up with a DUI TLS SE.

This was just my personal experience with purchasing a drysuit in a brick-and-mortar dive shop. It wasn't very pleasant. I felt like I was on a used car lot. The online purchasing experience was much more straightforward and honest, in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom