Help with lighting...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a HD3 and use a Sola 1200 photo. Everytime I use the light you can see the beam definition in the video. Should I add another Sola? Maybe the video 1200? Should I sell the photo and look for some bigger? I am guessing if I add another light on the other side to even it out will solve my problem? Thanks

By beam definition in the video I assume you are referring to the fact that the beam doesn't fill the whole video frame?
If that's the case you'll probably need a 2nd light. I'm not familiar with that light but I doubt the beam width is enough to fill a GoPro's wide angle frame. Another solution though I wouldn't like it, is to set the camera recording FOV setting to medium. That might do it but you would not be getting as much of the viewing area into you video shots.

Last edited:
By beam definition in the video I assume you are referring to the fact that the beam doesn't fill the whole video frame?
If that's the case you'll probably need a 2nd light. I'm not familiar with that light but I doubt the beam width is enough to fill a GoPro's wide angle frame. Another solution though I wouldn't like it, is to set the camera recording angle setting to medium. That might do it but you would not be getting as much of the viewing area into you video shots.

Sorry yes not filling the frame.

I have 2 sola 1200's with a hero2. At a few feet its ok, any further out and you will have a hot spot of color. I was considering 2 4000's but that is just nuts but sure would look nice. Just have to accept the fact it's a GoPro and I'm not filming for NatGeo. Or just film above 40' with a SRP filter, cheaper and looks better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I run the same setup and anything past 6-8 ft will show a dark frame corner around the video. I pulled the light feild slightly apart from being centered at 6ft. You can see it on my short penetration on the Papoose, in this video from Labor day weekend.

Go to about the 5 min mark and you will see the upper left and right corner darkened.

MHC Labor Day Weekend - YouTube

I run the same setup and anything past 6-8 ft will show a dark frame corner around the video. I pulled the light feild slightly apart from being centered at 6ft. You can see it on my short penetration on the Papoose, in this video from Labor day weekend.

Go to about the 5 min mark and you will see the upper left and right corner darkened.

MHC Labor Day Weekend - YouTube

You use 2 sola 1200 video's?

I use two sola 800 and it works well with the lights on flood rather than spot...if I change to spot, you can see the light beams easily, but you get a lot more distance. I usually have them just behind the gopro and aimed slightly out to give fuller coverage and less backscatter etc.

I had the same problem. Most dive lights are deliberately setup for a very narrow beam. Couple that with the gopro having a very wide angle lens, and you get what you see here.

The sola "video" might be a good start but I bet you'll need at least two to light the whole frame. I went with an edge morph 1000 with two video heads. It does a decent job but still barely fills the frame, I'm actually considering getting another for a total of four video heads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom