Help with Glue for Sporasub Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rrodrig3

New
Reaction score
Guys, the blades on my sporasub elites recently snapped so I replaced. However the replacement blades were not identical as these fins are pretty old. The guy at my LDS recommended using a marine type glue to firmly seal the pocket extensions to the blade. I included a picture of where he recommended putting the glue. Can anyone recommend a glue type or if this will even work. Thx

rrodrig3,
Couple of things. Yes the HD elites are discontinued, but just recently. If you bought the correct replacement blade, it should fit. Inherently one of the drawbacks to having a replaceable blade type fin is the rails will pull loose, or even kick loose if you are a strong swimmer. Mine always have. Although they would never come all the way off just a slightly torwards the middle of the rail. While annoying, I just accepted it.
If you want to try a glue I would look at "5200". It is a marine glue, similar to silicone but much stronger. The good thing about 5200 is it is non rigid or flexible. Comes in wht or blk. It is a marine product and can be found in a store like West Marine, Port supply etc. (hint: use tape, and get a clean surface, it's messy stuff)

Good luck.

Zak, I tried the 5200 last night. Placed the stuff along the blades and then ran the rails over them. Then I duct taped across the fin. It was extremely messy. My only concern is that I didn't use enough. Thanks for the advice though. I'll let you know if it works.

I had the same problem with the rails on an older pair of OMER Tuna fins. I tapped a shallow 1/16 hole through the rubber rail and barely into the blade. I placed the hole approx 1'' from the end of the rubber rail where it fits into the notch of the fin. I got the smallest sheet metal screw and washer combo I could find. Gently sink the screws until the washer depresses into the rubber rail. This has put an end to the end of the rail problem and I have 100's of dives on them over several years with no failure.

Back
Top Bottom