Help with filters for GoPro Hero 3+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

is99

Registered
Reaction score
I have a new Hero 3+ and I already spent a few days reading all the posts here and also read the info available on other sites.
I understand after these few days that I do need red filters, but I can’t decide what to order.
Maybe someone can explain me why for example FLIP3.1 costs ~130$ while SwitchBlade3-GoPro Hero3 ~60$
I understand that in FLIP3.1 I can use 2 filters during the dive while in SwitchBlade3 I only have one, but SwitchBlade3 has Magnifying lens so why such a big difference ?
Will the lens switch that I can do in FLIP3.1 really makes a big difference or I can live with one red filter?
If you were in my place what will you buy ?

The Flip3.1 is a pretty cool unit, you can have two different filters or a filter and a close-up lens (several magnifications ) or ... This unit has several options that can be switched out very easy which makes it the best option in my opinion.

I also have a flipper one, but here's what I also have as my first collection:

I bought the filter first then this rubber case. Eventually I realized that there are times that I want to put on the rubber protective case, because I have tripped over strong tides and knocked the GoPro a couple times against the rocks and scratched the case a bit. What I learned later is that this filter also allows itself to sit over the rubber case nicely. So, I kinda like the flexibility (and maybe it is likely to work with the future GoPro models)

I eventually added the lanyard coil with boltsnaps at top/bottom of the pole, so that the pole stays close to my body and does not swing if I dont want to hold it.

As for which color to buy, I think it depends on the color of the water. This red filter works well as soon as I go underwater, but did not work too well in clear blue waters (everything becomes too blue, and only yellow stays yellow), so I bought the yellow flipper.

The Flip is manufactured of aluminium and a more mechanically modular design then the switchblade which is partly why its more expensive. Others that have used the multiple depth filters that are marketed with the Flip have said that using the multiple colored filters was not worth it. A single filter designed for blue water is sufficient IMO and what I use. Unless you have a specific need for the modular design of the Flip 3.1 warranting the added cost, I would opt for the Switchblade.

The filter Im using!!

Hey there!!

I have been out of the forum for a while! thanks to the advice given here I decided to go and buy the Flip 3.1 Backscatter "Dive" Filter.

It works great! Even better than what I expected!

I just came back and have been looking at the pictures and videos taken with my goPro Hero 3+ the difference of just using the filter is HUGE!!

Im uploading pics I took without the filter and then with the filter of the same place. (it was tricky, underwater currents made it harder)

SO I hope you enjoy the pictures and helps people decide over the filter.

Im still working out how to upload the videos to Facebook or youtube I will let you know they are awesome!

G0621271.jpgG0611269.jpgG0631276.jpgG0651282.jpgG0791338.jpgG0801340.jpg

I also decided in the end to buy Flip 3.1 Backscatter, but only with one filter the "dive" (not the combo package)
I still not sure that its such a good idea to use the second "flip" filter for different depths so I went with only one for now.
Hope to try it in a few weeks and then maybe will add the second flip filer

One more question on this subject
I had some time to do more reading and I read the discussions about protune mode
What I still can't understand is why many people write that they use both protune mode and the red filter ? If we work with protune we will need to do post editing so why to "limit" the camera with a filter ?

One more question on this subject
I had some time to do more reading and I read the discussions about protune mode
What I still can't understand is why many people write that they use both protune mode and the red filter ? If we work with protune we will need to do post editing so why to "limit" the camera with a filter ?
Protune has no real bearing on color. Protune gives you a higher bitrate (detailed?) image. You need the red filter regardless of any mode you choose on the GoPro. Without the filter the image color at depth would be far too blue/green and be practically impossible to color correct in post. The red filter re-intoduces the missing red spectrum into your image making it much closer to a white balanced image.

Back
Top Bottom