help with equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funktup

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I am new to the forum and diving, I did my advanced at easter and will now make sure every holiday i take incorporates some diving (2-3 times a year). Unfortunately i am usually too busy to go diving in the uk.

What would equipment would you recommend buying?

Mask, snorkel, fins etc? and which are decent makes etc.....is it worth my while getting a dive watch, suit etc. Most of my diving will be in places with sun!!

thanks

Ahhh...This particular can of worms has been opened once again. If you are a vacation diver who only gets in a few dives per year, you definitely don't need a full set of gear. A well-fitting mask, a set of fins you like, and a wetsuit which has been saturated in your pee only. These are your first necessities. You can't always guarantee any of these wherever you happen to be vacationing.

Fins are entirely personal preference. There are different lines of reasoning for believing a particular fin is ideal, and only you can decide which is best for you. There have been many posts here on the board regarding fins, so there is a wealth of information about fins. Just search for it a little. I personally prefer Jetfins and Force-fins. I love my paddle fins(the Jets), they have a nice strong kick to them. My Force-fins are my new favorites. They are very maneuverable and comfortable.

Masks and wetsuits are all about fit. Get a suit for the waters that you will be diving most often. Pinnacle and Bare, amongst others, make very nice wetsuits. Make sure it fits well and is comfortable. Same with the mask. Fit is paramount, followed closely by comfort.

I would suggest perhaps buying slate or wet-notes to bring with you, but other than that listed above, I wouldn't buy anything else if I were you.
I hope this is helpful. If in doubt, just try searching on SB.
-Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom