Help with Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive doubles today. Tightened up all the straps especially waist and crotch strap. Made a hug difference. Was much more stable in the water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear it. If you find that your trim (front to back balance) is shifting one way or another you need to shift the weight. Usually by using a different hole on the backplate or a different hole on the wing (or both). Pool time or shallow diving is invaluable in squaring trim away.

Enjoy doubles. I didn't dive in single tank for 2 years after I started in doubles--and that was only for spearfishing.

All did some shallow water work today in my doubles. Still having some buoyancy trouble. Any suggestions appreciated. Here's that info:

Double LP 95s
Dive Rite Classic XP wing
SS plate
AL 40 on left

My problem. Leaning right a lot. Can't figure out why. How can I solve?

Would my full but floaty 40 be pushing my left side up?

How do you get balanced in doubles? Is it just lack of experience. I can feel and see my lean right

An al40 shouldn't float when full.

Why are you carrying a 3rd tank if you're not comfortable handling your twinset?

I will ditch 40. Remind me again. Bungee get rid of this, correct. The wing came with Bungee, but I'm thinking this traps air. I can find nothing on me that would cause the lean right.

Trinkets, gear, and assorted doodads matter far far less than your posture in the water.

You ou dive the gear. It doesn't dive you.

The bungee on the wing is to help hold its shape, but w/ 95s you don't need the bungee. Moving the bubble around in your wing (and drysuit if you're wearing one) can usually fix roll issues.

Michael, thanks. That's what it feels like. I can't seem to manage the bubble with doubles. Feels quite different than my Tec set up

---------- Post added October 25th, 2015 at 10:31 PM ----------

Recreation set up

the bungee on this type of wing can't trap air unless you are upside-down. The bungee is on the bottom of the wing, the top is free to do whatever it wants. You have to remember that if this is your first time diving a horseshoe wing, if you are slightly head down which is normal with new doubles divers, the air can't equalize side to side. You have to go slightly vertical to get it to balance out. Remember that the inflator is on the left side of the wing, so if you aren't slightly vertical when you inflate, it will take the path of least resistance and go up into the left side and without a crossover at the bottom, won't equalize, even with, you have to get about the same head-down attitude as you would head up without a crossover.

This is inconvenient to some, a design error to others, but the lack of a crossover is actually fairly convenient if you are diving a DIR style rig with all of your stages/deco bottles on the left, or if you have any other sort of imbalance in your rig so you can balance out by packing air into one side or the other.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom