Help with Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin, with that issue you need to go inverted doubles or sidemount... Also I'd try a harness with a chest strap as that allows you to keep the straps loose, put the pressure centered on your shoulders, and still keep the bottles tight enough to where you can reach them.

Good advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want to speed the learning curve, take a little time find some areas to practice that are lowest risk possible. Shoulder straps should be tight (snug)when upright but able to be slipped off if the weight of the tanks is unloaded , for that matter the crotch strap is merely to hold the shoulder straps tight when inverted positions in water. I really think experience is the best answer to your issues.

Last edited:
Kevin, with that issue you need to go inverted doubles or sidemount... Also I'd try a harness with a chest strap as that allows you to keep the straps loose, put the pressure centered on your shoulders, and still keep the bottles tight enough to where you can reach them.
Yeah, sidemount is something I keep thinking about. Not a lot of sidemount divers around here, but I had a class with a guy who had learned sidemount with Edd Sorenson(not full cave qualified yet) and he was very damn impressive in the water.

Want to speed the learning curve, take a little time find some areas to practice that are lowest risk possible. Shoulder straps should be tight (snug)when upright but able to be slipped off if the weight of the tanks is unloaded , for that matter the crotch strap is merely to hold the shoulder straps tight when inverted positions in water. I really think experience is the best answer to your issues.

The crotch strap on a Hogarthian harness has another purpose, to insure the rig and the diver benefit from the lift the wing provides at the surface.

Unlike most Jacket BC's with often crawl up the diver's back at the surface, which often leads to the diver putting more gas in them sometimes until the cylinder is almost on top of the divers head, a BP&W with a properly adjusted crotch strap needs only a puff of gas in it to lift the diver's chin out of the water.

Tobin

I'd try a harness with a chest strap

I was having trouble with my harness wanting to come off my right shoulder. I broke my clavicle into a bunch of pieces a while back when I was actively racing motorcycles.

I got 2 D rings, some tri-slides, and a sternum strap from DGX and cut my shoulder straps and put the sternum strap in. No big deal. Cheap. Just took a little bit of fudging around to get it adjusted right, with the sternum strap low enough to not hit my dry suit inflator valve and yet also not too low. Works great now!

That's an interesting idea. I'm going to start by tightening everything up a bit. It just seems to slip back and forth too much. Swimming around not to difficult but hovering at 40-30-20-10 feet has been very challenging

That's an interesting idea. I'm going to start by tightening everything up a bit. It just seems to slip back and forth too much. Swimming around not to difficult but hovering at 40-30-20-10 feet has been very challenging

Try some 7.25" tanks that are a bit taller and I'd be surprised if it doesn't work better for you. Start with AL80s. Those are very manageable and pleasant doubles.

Try some 7.25" tanks that are a bit taller and I'd be surprised if it doesn't work better for you. Start with AL80s. Those are very manageable and pleasant doubles.

Good advice, also maybe add a V weight or tail weight.

Good advice, also maybe add a V weight or tail weight.

And if you don't want to buy either of those, you can strategically sandwich some soft lead bags between your backplate and the wing....it works in a pinch, and is a good trim troubleshooting tool.

What the..............................???????? Geez, are you planning on having anymore kids ? What do you need all that garbage for ? I have been diving triple, and doubles for 50 years. You don't need all that strap garbage.

Here is a link for a good double backpack set-up : Search results for: 'backplate' | AP Diving

Here is another link : https://www.scubadoctor.com.au/dive...d=3436&zenid=065aaf91ebef1a56c10f330e1bffe102

There is no sense spending money on bands either. You can easily make them yourself. Mine look, and are better than any commercial band made. I make them out of stainless of course, and then have the stainless polished so it's as shiny as chrome.

If you go to my profile, you will see a photo of my tripe 30s set up. I'm getting ready to make a triple 40 set up. Two of the tanks will be the main source of air, with the third tank being an independent back-up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom