Help with Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's how my 133s felt the first time it gets better not great but I'm used to them now.

Your wings (unless their bungeed) should cradle the cylinders and maintain equilibrium. You are using the wings for buoyancy and not your dry suit right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why I like sidemount

Your rig shouldn't be so loose that it flops around on you. I dive mine like tbone. Loose-ish shoulder straps, tight on the waist and crotch strap. Just enough air in the drysuit to be comfortable, the rest goes in the wing, which should stabilize the tanks. Not sure which dive rite wing you have, but I have the Classic EXP wing with the bungee taken off and it keeps me very stable in my 130s.

Can you post a video of how your stuff fits and how tight it is to the plate? Might help in the diagnosis.

No problems with your horizontal trim? Just the issue of roll?

No video yet. Horizontal trim is a bit of problem too. We have same wing but mine is still Bungeed. Never thought of air in wing stabilizing. I will try more air in wing and less in suit. Why do they come with the bungee if everyone takes it off? What's the purpose?

Why do they come with the bungee if everyone takes it off? What's the purpose?

The bungee is supposed to help expel gas from the wing when you pull the dump. It generally just ends up trapping gas unevenly in the wing.

I think it is supposed to help keep the wing streamlined when only small amounts of gas are in it since it is such a high capacity wing. The bungee probably helps it maintain its shape and smaller form factor. You could ask dive rite though. I'm sure they'd explain.

Last edited:
The bungee is supposed to help expel gas from the wing when you pull the dump. It generally just ends up trapping gas unevenly in the wing.

no. the bungee is there to keep the wing maintain its shape. Stop perpetuating that bullsh!t, that was true on the OMS "bondage" wings, but on the dive rite wings they don't wrap around the wings and do essentially nothing to contribute to dumping or creating strange shapes that trap air, that's why the bungee is on the bottom not wrapping around the wing.

The rocking motion you feel is an imbalance of air in the wing. If it's an old classic wing that is a horseshoe, you can pack air in each side to offset any weight imbalance due to stages etc etc. It's normal in doubles, you sometimes have to rock back and forth a bit to get the air to be happy especially if the wing is a little too far down and restricts air flow across the top. Try raising the wing one grommet hole

The weight doesn't bother me. It's the imbalance. Floating neutral on a practice deco stop I will roll right. I can shift the tanks and then roll left. I'm thinking there's too much play in my waist and crotch strap.

---------- Post added October 12th, 2015 at 07:56 PM ----------

Warren you do have a point when I roll to vent my drysuit I feel like someone's on my back

You are getting mostly good advice.

Here's the rub with doubles, the newbie is the diver that will benefit the most from a good configuration. Proper weighting, proper ballast placement, a wing shape that helps vs makes thing more challenging, tank selection and tank placement that helps not hurts etc. Unfortunately the newbie is the least likely to know how to tweek their gear, and often make way to many changes at once.

The good news it time in the water and bit of mentoring helps a great deal.

In the beginning stable divers passing bottles around looks like a magic trick as you try to "balance on the ball"

Later it becomes second nature, you won't even notice a couple deco bottles.

Good luck, stick with it.

Tobin

Why do they come with the bungee if everyone takes it off? What's the purpose?

I was told (by someone vastly more experienced than myself) that the bungees are useful to maintain balance. I.e. if you roll to one side, the bungees help to prevent all the gas in your wing from going to that one side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom