Help with Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mick allein III

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just took the plunge into technical diving and BM doubles. I am having trouble getting balanced. I feel like the tanks are shifting when I dive. How tight should my crotch strap be? Any suggestions to speed the learning curve would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crotch strap should be fairly snug, waist should be fairly snug, shoulders should be pretty loose.

How much shifting is shifting?
What tanks are you using?
What exposure protection?
SS or AL plate?
If extra lead, how much and where?
Which wing?

Doubles are extra sensitive to being overweighted as you have to have that much extra air in the wing to compensate for gas. Minimum 12lbs for AL80s, up to 30lbs with 104/108/121's etc. If you are any more overweight than you need to be, the wing becomes that much less stable. Lots of variables we need to know before we can help.

The shoulders are tight especially the right one. I tilt to that side. Shifting 2 inches. LP 95s SS plate, drysuit. No extra lead.

Make sure your band assembly is securely bolted to the back plate. If it's loose the tanks will keep shifting. This will happen even with a single tank. Tighten your shoulder straps 1st then your waist and crotch straps.

Don't forget doubles are a lot of weight just in the gas fill there is a lot of mass back there to get used to especially if you are used to a single 80 they will feel different.

The weight doesn't bother me. It's the imbalance. Floating neutral on a practice deco stop I will roll right. I can shift the tanks and then roll left. I'm thinking there's too much play in my waist and crotch strap.

---------- Post added October 12th, 2015 at 07:56 PM ----------

Warren you do have a point when I roll to vent my drysuit I feel like someone's on my back

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom