help with dive rite MR11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

techdiver89

Reaction score
hello
i have a brand new dive rite MR11 canister light but when i charge it it charges for a very sort time and then i put it together and turn it on and i only get a flicker and then thats is what do i need to do?

Thanks in advance
Donny

hello
i have a brand new dive rite MR11 canister light but when i charge it it charges for a very sort time and then i put it together and turn it on and i only get a flicker and then thats is what do i need to do?

Thanks in advance
Donny

Take it back to the dive shop and they should replace it (if never used) or send it back to DR for you.

Jackie

The NiMH batteries used in those lights need to be cycled when they are new to achieve maximum efficiency. This is usually done at the factory, however if a NiMH battery has sat around a while, it will need to be done again.

Basically, do the following:

1. Fully charge your battery
2. Install it in the light, place the light in a bucket of water.
3. Fire the light, and allow it to fully discharge.

Repeat the sequence 4-5 times. You will find the burn time increases with each "cycle," until it reaches it's full burn time of 4 hours or so.

The NiMH batteries used in those lights need to be cycled when they are new to achieve maximum efficiency. This is usually done at the factory, however if a NiMH battery has sat around a while, it will need to be done again.

Basically, do the following:

1. Fully charge your battery
2. Install it in the light, place the light in a bucket of water.
3. Fire the light, and allow it to fully discharge.

Repeat the sequence 4-5 times. You will find the burn time increases with each "cycle," until it reaches it's full burn time of 4 hours or so.
is it not bad for the batteries to fully discharge them?

DR does not recommend fully discharging the light. They refer you to a burn schedule for breaking in the abtteries that was, ironically enough, not included in my instructions.

But, in the abscence of the schedule ( it would be great if someone could post it) I'd charge it and then burn for 20 minutes, charge, burn for 40 minutes, charge and burn for maybe 80 minutes, then charge and burn for 120. In then event the light goes out, turn it of immediately and then back off a bit on the next burn. That should get you to the point where it will get you through most dives unless you are a hard core cave diver - in which case you probably do not have an MR11.

That said, I suspect the problem with a flickering bulb is not a battery issue at all. My guess is the bulb is broken and not making consistent contact (probably dropped in the store, damaged in shipping, etc.) I had that particular issue (you could see the element wobbling in the bulb) but rather than just replace the bulb, DR wanted it sent in for a full checkup to ensure nothing else was wrong. The downside is I did not have a light for a coupel weeks, the good news is that everything was covered under warranty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom