help with design for "flat" backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

el-ninio

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm now diving with a halcyion SS backplate, with which I'm very pleased. The only problem is that during the wormer months, when I practically need no exoiser protection, it's just plainly too heavy. The problem is espetually acute when diving singule.

I want to try and make myself an AL backplate. At first, I figured I would want to make someting very close to the BP I allready have (so that it would feel the same, and so that I would be able to use my MC-pack on both backplates). But after reconsidering, it finally hit me that I could manage quire well with a flat or nearly flat BP- It will probably be used only with singures anyway, and bending the ridge in the most complicated part of the BP (4mm AL can not be bent with home DIY type equipent). making a ridge-less BP would also put the tank closer to my back, giving me better trim.

What I need is a backplate design that will match the folowing requirments:

1) slot configuration identical to the Halcyion BP
2) hole configuration matching the MC-pack.
3) no bending of the backplate, or at most a singure bend right down the middle.
4) bolt type mounting for a STA. (I use an old, no slot pioneer)

I'm not convinced that you can have both #3 and #4, but It may work with "sex bolts" or the such (I do have a decent scrow&bolt shop here).

has anyone here tried to make such a backplate, or has one that got and could post a link or a picture? is then an alternative mounting mechanizem I could check? Are flat backplates comfertable? Does one need to bend the plated down the middle for a good fit? If so, at what angle?

(this was posted in TDS as well, but that's really not the ideal place to ask about singule tank diving )

you dont really need an sta. if teh plate is stiff enough, the bands will cinch it tight enough so that it will not shift.

I made a diy flat plate single tank rig outta delrin. its in this lnk:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t57640-.html

I initially thought i needed some way to make sure the tank doesnt move.. but once it is tight.. it doesnt shift at all.

ragdoll:
you dont really need an sta. if teh plate is stiff enough, the bands will cinch it tight enough so that it will not shift.

I made a diy flat plate single tank rig outta delrin. its in this lnk:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t57640-.html

I initially thought i needed some way to make sure the tank doesnt move.. but once it is tight.. it doesnt shift at all.

I really do need the STA - I have an OLD pioneer wing, and it has no slots for bands.

thanks for the link - I'm off to check.

el-ninio:
I really do need the STA - I have an OLD pioneer wing, and it has no slots for bands.

thanks for the link - I'm off to check.
I have one of the old style Pioneer wings, too. It seems that there is enough room to cut slots in it for the cam bands. If so you won't need the STA and won't have to worry about how to attach it..

dorset47:
I have one of the old style Pioneer wings, too. It seems that there is enough room to cut slots in it for the cam bands. If so you won't need the STA and won't have to worry about how to attach it..

I got to tell you - DIY as I may be, cutting my wing makes me a tad bit uncomfertable. I'd rather find an alternative that's not so extream (AKA making my own BP).

BTW, someone posted this link, which looks reall nice:
http://www.huwporter.com/scuba/hplate.html

El-ninio,
Don't be apprehensive about making modifications.
First get some chalk and mark your wing where you would want your slots.
Take your wing to a commercial sewing facility, or prehaps a shoe repair shop, and have them stitch around the areas which you have defined. Once the peripheries of the slots have been "bordered" then you can cut your strap slots into you wing safely.

awap:
This is a link to my solution. Nicest thing about it is you can put holes damn near anywhere you would like.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=20816&highlight=backplate
it looks nice. Did you post the blueprints?

And it seems that quite some time has passed since this was posted. I would hope you loged some hours since - are you still using the BP? any comments? do you have dissimular-metal corrusion problems? Do you have any tips that may reduce the time it will take me to make a BP?

el-ninio:
it looks nice. Did you post the blueprints?

And it seems that quite some time has passed since this was posted. I would hope you loged some hours since - are you still using the BP? any comments? do you have dissimular-metal corrusion problems? Do you have any tips that may reduce the time it will take me to make a BP?

I didn't do blueprint - it was more a work of art. But I patterned it from the design in this link:
http://www.scubaboard.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=112280

With almost 200 dives under the belt, I am still quite happy with it. There is just a little of the aluminum white corrosion around the SS screws but nothing serious. An occasional good FW soaking and a shot of silicon spray is all it gets. No sign of waekness yet.

I dropped the crouch strap. It just doesn't seem to be needed and is just a PITA, sometimes literally. The 1/4 inch plate (4 to 5 pounds) is excessive from a strength standpoint but leaves me with just a couple pounds of weight on my belt in warm SW. If I carry a pony, I can leave the belt except it is nice to have the balance weight to reduce roll. I also added attachment points on the back of the plate (between the plate & wing) for trim weights and for snorkle attachment (I still like to carry a snorkle when I'm 100 miles out to sea). I was getting some harness slippage at the 1/4 in slots in hip area. I added SS weight keepers to the harness between the two slots and that stopped it. Also makes adjustment a bit easier.

I ended up using a 12 to 15 degree bend which seems to work fine. Did the angle by eye with a serious machine shop press.

I concluded that none of this requires much precision. I think it will get ugly well before it become a functional problem.

By the way. I lost the fancy Dive Rite pocket pretty quickly. It slipped off over the SS buckle that I thought would hold it. Army surplus ammo and first aid pouches don't look very professional but work great.

Good Luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom