Help with appropiate drysuit size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iggy97

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have recently purchased a second hand northern diver vortex 3 as my first drysuit but it was supposed to be a size smaller than it actually was. Unfortunately I am not able to return as the seller has gone MIA... Now that i have been trying it on I think size might not be that much off, boot size is 10 and Im 8 but I understand there shouldnt be a problem as long as a I put a couple socks on. Im more worried as I think theres too much gather on the legs, maybe some gaters would fix this? Ill attach some pictures, any advice is appreciated!

cheers

Attachments

• 7422FDA9-0406-4E25-9F05-AA84B756E858.jpeg
    7422FDA9-0406-4E25-9F05-AA84B756E858.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 107
It should be fine, plenty of room for insulation. I assume it was a good price, diving it to work out underlayers needed and trim will also tell you about needing gaiters.

Thank you, I'll try it out as soon as the weather gets better!

I have recently purchased a second hand northern diver vortex 3 as my first drysuit but it was supposed to be a size smaller than it actually was. Unfortunately I am not able to return as the seller has gone MIA... Now that i have been trying it on I think size might not be that much off, boot size is 10 and Im 8 but I understand there shouldnt be a problem as long as a I put a couple socks on. Im more worried as I think theres too much gather on the legs, maybe some gaters would fix this? Ill attach some pictures, any advice is appreciated!

cheers
sealing is most important. if your suit can trap the air then you're good to go

As mentioned, having adequate room for a heavier undergarment gives you flexibility. I didn't realize this when I bought my first dry suit and faced chilly dives during spring/fall with thinner undergarment. And as @skippy311 said sealing is very important.

As mentioned, having adequate room for a heavier undergarment gives you flexibility. I didn't realize this when I bought my first dry suit and faced chilly dives during spring/fall with thinner undergarment. And as @skippy311 said sealing is very important.
but! sealing is expensive.

A suit which is too big can trap air and cause some problems. Depending on your skills these problems can be big or small.

You could use gaitors.

You could swap the boots [but warm socks are really nice].

A minimal amount of gas in the suit really helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom