Help with a camera selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karberg

Registered
Reaction score
Currently I dive with a Canon G9 Ikelite housing and DS-51 strobe. I'm tired of the bulky housing and I just got a nice scratch on the lense so it's time to move on.

I'm trying to decide on a Canon G12 and a Nikon P7100. I don't want to look at the G15 as it's brand new and who knows what it's going to be like underwater. Typically I'd go straight for the G12 however my hesitation is with the housing and accessories. I can go buy a Fisheye Fix housing but then I have to piece everything else together ie tray, arms, wide angle, strobe, macro etc. With the P7100, Fantasea makes a fantastic assortment of accessories for their housing. My struggle is I don't know much about the Nikon camera or how it performs in and out of water. Suggestions please!!!!

Right now the "best" camera in the compact class is the Sony RX100. Why? Because it has a sensor FOUR times larger than any of its direct competitors, good lens and quick autofocus. Many feel the autofocus on the G12 just has not kept up with other cameras in the group including Canons own S100. The Nikon is a good camera but again not keeping up with the Sony. Might be best to sell your G9 as a kit here, wetpixel or ebay and start fresh. That way you could go with one of the Sea&Sea strobes like the YS01 or D1 and take advantage of TTL, if you like.

Several housings now out there for it. Here is a good example of a package including the excellent Nauticam housing.

System Packages :: Compact Systems :: Nauticam RX100 Sea & Sea YS-01 Strobe Package -

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking at cost and timing too. I want to be able to take whichever camera I get to South Africa (not for diving) in two weeks so unfortunately the Sony can't be a contender in this. One more thing to note is I dive once maybe twice a year so the best of the best point and shoot isn't necessary.

Back
Top Bottom