Question Help - Which Liveaboard - Raja Ampat vs. Komodo??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cisco_Pug

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We have decided on Indonesia - Raja Ampat on a liveaboard in July 2026 or June/July 2027. We really like the Coralia - especially for the master suite with the balcony. However, she is full for 2026 and we just saw that she is in Komodo in that time frame for 2027. Route would be 10 nights - Komodo & Sumbawa (start in Bali) - (Benoa Bali - Labuan Bajo)
Not sure if we want to go to Komodo over RA though.

If we stay in RA, we could go on the Damai 1 during that time, as it also has amazing reviews and the balcony room we want. Route would be 13 days - Cenderawasih Bay / Mapia (Nabire - Nabire)

We also like the Gaia Love, although it does not have a balcony. The route for Gaia would be 12 days - Palu, Sangalaki, Maratua, Derawan (Palu - Tarakan)

This may be our only big dive trip and we want to pick the best location in case we don't make it back to the area again.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

A couple of thoughts. Cenderawasih Bay is neither part of nor equivalent to Raja Ampat. A main reason to dive there, besides the remoteness, is the near-certainty of spending a couple of days with resident whale sharks. That's a very good thing if it's what you want to do, but may not be the experience you're seeking; either way, it's not an even exchange with R4. Also, while someone with local knowledge would of course know better, I think that getting to and from Nabire would be a significant logistical challenge--there are no flights from Sorong, much less Jakarta, and flights from Manokwari may be seasonal. You could easily add one or even two days to an already-intense travel situation, not to mention increased risk of luggage issues on a likely-difficult regional airline or two. As you probably know, June-July and beyond is the rainy (monsoon) season in Raja, with heavier seas quite possible (which is why a lot of the Raja boats change itineraries to Cenderawasih in the summer--the weather pattern is different). You probably also know that Komodo is in the top tier of challenging diving, with currents that can be mask-ripping as well as up- and downcurrents (I have a friend who got dragged down from 6m to 25m in a flash, and banged up on the way down).

If I were looking at a once-in-a-lifetime trip in Indonesia or wherever, I'd start with the timing (generally October to May for Raja), and then look for a boat that best suits your taste around that time, rather than picking the boat first. If you're locked in to the June-July block, then Cenderawasih might be worth the effort, but read up on it first. There are many threads on the board discussing your situation, e.g. this recent one.

A couple of thoughts. Cenderawasih Bay is neither part of nor equivalent to Raja Ampat. A main reason to dive there, besides the remoteness, is the near-certainty of spending a couple of days with resident whale sharks. That's a very good thing if it's what you want to do, but may not be the experience you're seeking; either way, it's not an even exchange with R4. Also, while someone with local knowledge would of course know better, I think that getting to and from Nabire would be a significant logistical challenge--there are no flights from Sorong, much less Jakarta, and flights from Manokwari may be seasonal. You could easily add one or even two days to an already-intense travel situation, not to mention increased risk of luggage issues on a likely-difficult regional airline or two. As you probably know, June-July and beyond is the rainy (monsoon) season in Raja, with heavier seas quite possible (which is why a lot of the Raja boats change itineraries to Cenderawasih in the summer--the weather pattern is different). You probably also know that Komodo is in the top tier of challenging diving, with currents that can be mask-ripping as well as up- and downcurrents (I have a friend who got dragged down from 6m to 25m in a flash, and banged up on the way down).

If I were looking at a once-in-a-lifetime trip in Indonesia or wherever, I'd start with the timing (generally October to May for Raja), and then look for a boat that best suits your taste around that time, rather than picking the boat first. If you're locked in to the June-July block, then Cenderawasih might be worth the effort, but read up on it first. There are many threads on the board discussing your situation, e.g. this recent one.
Thanks for this information! What about thr Gaia Love - Palu, Sangalaki, Maratua, Derawan (Palu - Tarakan). Is that considered Raja Ampat? How do I know which areas are specifically Raja Ampat?

Here's a link to a map.

Palu is on the west side of Central Sulewesi, the opposite side from Raja Ampat (and 1500 km from Sorong, which is the main point of departure for Raja), and Terakan is on Borneo, even farther west. The Derawan Islands look pretty cool, though (first I've heard of them). If you're sold on the summer months and willing to consider non-liveaboard trips, you might look at North Sulewesi; the three major dive areas there, Manado/Bunaken, Bangka, and Lembeh, each have different types of diving and lots of excellent resorts.

Here's a link to a map.

Palu is on the west side of Central Sulewesi, the opposite side from Raja Ampat (and 1500 km from Sorong, which is the main point of departure for Raja), and Terakan is on Borneo, even farther west. The Derawan Islands look pretty cool, though (first I've heard of them). If you're sold on the summer months and willing to consider non-liveaboard trips, you might look at North Sulewesi; the three major dive areas there, Manado/Bunaken, Bangka, and Lembeh, each have different types of diving and lots of excellent resorts.
Thank you for this! I'm a teacher, so unfortunately, until I retire, summer is our only option.

Our other option for location is the Philippines. Definitely much easier to get to!

I will definitely look into the resorts in North Sulewesi too.

Just got done with a Raja-CBay-Mapia and a Nabire-Nabire itinerary with Damai. It is a great trip but not Raja. Now Mapia is in my opinion better than Raja but can be problematic with either getting there (weather dependent) or with permissions (the military/and village has to allow you to dive. As for CBay The whale sharks are just amazing and the experience is magical! The Damai only has at most 13-14 people where as the Gaia has up to 22. (The cruise directors are the best on the Gaia). We also have done Raja many times during the June/July season and it has always been amazing. Often way better than the on-season time. Big plus is no people. On season is just crazy crowded! Haven't been on Coralia but haven't heard bad things.

Thanks for your info! Good option to consider then. Did you fly into Papua New Guinea then and take a flight to Nabire?

I did a back to back so I flew into Sorong from Jakarta then went Raja to CBay. I was mistaken... Our flight home was from Biak and it was a little bit more complicated because we had a cancellation (thanks to Lion Air )(Garuda passengers were fine). The group that came in to Nabire for the second trip had a Jakarta to Ambon with an overnight and then on to Nabire the next day... then they flew home from Biak via Makassar to Jakarta. Definitely more complicated than Sorong (Raja) and every time I say "I am never going to do it again" but then it miraculously vanishes from my memory (like childbirth) when I am swimming around with whale sharks and I seem to subject myself to it again. I have been 4 times. I have snorkeled and dove with whale sharks in many places around the world and CBay is by far the best place imho.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom