Help! What To Put The Housing In (Case?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What should I use to transport my housing and camera in. I've got a camera bag I'm going to take (Blackbeard's liveaboard), don't have time to get a Pelican or anything, any last minute ideas for transporting the housing?

AD

One more question: when you're filing for DEPP insurance (equipment), how do you determine retail price for your equipment?

For example, I have a Suunto Cobra that I got for roughly $525 via Scuba Store, but MSRP here in the US is upwards of $750, which to use?

AD

Aggie Diver once bubbled...
What should I use to transport my housing and camera in. I've got a camera bag I'm going to take (Blackbeard's liveaboard), don't have time to get a Pelican or anything, any last minute ideas for transporting the housing?
Backpack, maybe?

As I don't have my housing yet, I can't really say 100%. But, I plan on putting the smaller camera bag I got for my Olympus C-5050 in a larger backpack, along with the housing. Maybe put a towel in it or something to protect it and keep the stuff from getting too wet.

The bag I have for the C-5050 is a Lowerpro. I've heard good things about them on this board.

I've switched from Pelican cases to backpacks. The photo backpacks by Lowepro, Delsey, etc. are very nice at decent prices.

I ass*u*me you're taking your camera gear as carry-on? And that you're leaving Friday? In that case if you have a regular backpack, you can place the camera inside the housing then wrap your housing very well in a towel. Other things can be dropped into socks and/or wrapped in underwear! I've done this several times and the only hassle was unwrapping the housing at the airport security and re-wrapping it. Small hassle at that.

As for your DEPP prices....decide on how much you can afford to cover. For instance, if you Cobra is lost or stolen, can you afford to pay the $225 difference for replacement? One thing to watch for is the total of your coverage. I have stuff covered that I normally wouldn't because it was 'free'. I don't remember the exact ranges but let's just say for items totalling $3000-4000 it costs you $100. But your total only comes to $3100, you still have to pay that $100. So why not either add items you wouldn't normally cover or raise your estimates to cover retail in order to make up that $900. It's going to cost you $100 either way. Does any of that make sense?

Yeah that makes sense Dee on the insurance.

I'm already above the cutoff by $200 so I've got $1300 wiggle room.

I'm trying to figure out what exacty to cover and what needs flood protection.

So far I've got my BCD, a reg, the camera, housing, and Cobra, with flood insurance for the camera and computer.

Should the housing be put under that too in case it cracks and floods or is a crack just considered part of the general insurance WRT the equipment?

Also, we're actually driving down to Florida. I'm planning on taking all my clothes for the trip in a backpack, so was sitting here staring at my housing and my camera wondering what's the best way to pack it when I'm gonna be in a packed car ride down.

AD

Aggie Diver once bubbled...
Yeah that makes sense Dee on the insurance.

I'm already above the cutoff by $200 so I've got $1300 wiggle room.

I'm trying to figure out what exacty to cover and what needs flood protection.

So far I've got my BCD, a reg, the camera, housing, and Cobra, with flood insurance for the camera and computer.

Should the housing be put under that too in case it cracks and floods or is a crack just considered part of the general insurance WRT the equipment?

No need. There's no electronics to be ruined by a flood, just basically a plastic box. If it cracks, that's just part of the general coverage....unless you take it WAY below the depth rating!

Also, we're actually driving down to Florida. I'm planning on taking all my clothes for the trip in a backpack, so was sitting here staring at my housing and my camera wondering what's the best way to pack it when I'm gonna be in a packed car ride down.

AD

In a car it's no problem. Just wrap it to pad it and place it in any bag. All your camera stuff can go in one bag, just make sure it's all padded and/or protected from rubbing against each other. Just remember what's in there and don't be throwing it around or piling stuff on top of it!

Hello,

I went to wallyworld and bought one of those $5 20gallon tubs with a lid. I pack my housing with clothing and towels and duct tape it closed and check it in on the airlines. While on the boat it becomes my personal rince tank.

Ed

I was just on a trip and saw a lot of people using those tubs. A great idea! I will definitely keep that in mind for future trips. Just bring an extra roll of duct tape for the return home. =-)

blacknet once bubbled...
While on the boat it becomes my personal rince tank.

Ed

That works as long as there's plenty of room for the other divers, everyone's gear and the boat crew has an out of the way place for it.

:wink:

How about something that will carry camera, housing, strobe and a laptop?
So far the possible option that I can find is http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/stealth/stealth650.htm

Unforrtunately the local dealer does not carry this line of Lowepro bag. Anyone else have seen it? I would need something that I can fit my Ikelite housing and DS 125 strobe as well. I think the strobe probably would fit into one of those compartment for large zoom.

Right now I have one camera gear bag, one laptop bag, one dive gear bag and one clothing/misc bag and it is a big hazzle. I think for laptop/camera, I definitely would prefer a carryon rather than something to check-in.

Back
Top Bottom