Help viewing Olympus RAW - .orf files, PLEASE ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calypsonick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am playing around with my new E330 and having a frustrating time previewing my RAW photos.

The problem:

I use a Mac and I took a bunch of .jpg and .orf pics on the same XD card. After download, my CS2 Photoshop and Bridge programs had no problems with the .jpg files but no preview for the .orf files. So, I put the XD card in my C-8080 and took a few .orf files and no problem seeing them in Bridge where with a click they opened right up in the RAW processor in Photoshop.

After a visit to the Olympusamerica website, I see I need a plug-in for my Photoshop. So I download and install. OK, now I can access my E330 .ofr files but only through a convoluted set of menu commands File>Import>Olympus Camera Raw File. I still cannot get a preview in Bridge nor can I see them on my Mac Finder. I do not relish the thought of downloading all my photos after a dive and then having to open each one to see what is there before I decide to keep it and/or work on it.

HELP!!! Any ideas on simple viewers that can handle these "new" .orf files from Olympus ??

Thanks
Nick

I think it has something to do with resetting the preferences menu thingy what'sit in Bridge...but as I can't view some jpeg files today in bridge (while others from the same camera show up just fine ??? ) I may not be the person to ask LOL

Good luck and I'll be checking back...

did you try viewing them first with the Oly software?

Alcina, thanks for the tip. I tried that thingamajigger in Bridge and no luck.

Leesa, I am so hooked on PS that I went and misplaced the Oly software. If it wasn't for Andy, I'd be digging around in my drawers trying to figure out where I left it.

Andy, thanks a bunch for the tip. The update 3.4 did the trick and I am back in the swing with a seamless Adobe Bridge to Photoshop workflow. Thanks again!!

calypsonick:
I am playing around with my new E330 and having a frustrating time previewing my RAW photos.

The problem:

I use a Mac and I took a bunch of .jpg and .orf pics on the same XD card. After download, my CS2 Photoshop and Bridge programs had no problems with the .jpg files but no preview for the .orf files. So, I put the XD card in my C-8080 and took a few .orf files and no problem seeing them in Bridge where with a click they opened right up in the RAW processor in Photoshop.

After a visit to the Olympusamerica website, I see I need a plug-in for my Photoshop. So I download and install. OK, now I can access my E330 .ofr files but only through a convoluted set of menu commands File>Import>Olympus Camera Raw File. I still cannot get a preview in Bridge nor can I see them on my Mac Finder. I do not relish the thought of downloading all my photos after a dive and then having to open each one to see what is there before I decide to keep it and/or work on it.

HELP!!! Any ideas on simple viewers that can handle these "new" .orf files from Olympus ??

Thanks
Nick

Nick, you need to copy the 'Camera Raw.8bi' (should be that on the mac also, I can't remember) that you download from Adobe's download page to the Adobe Bridge/Plug-ins folder. Then when you restart the bridge program it may tell you that it found a new updated Camera Raw file and ask if you want to use it. Of course you answer yes and it should work for you.

When you installed for photoshop, it copied it into the photoshop plug-ins directory, but bridge has its own and that's why it doesn't work.

Hope this helps!

Glad to have helped .

Are those pics on your flickr site taken with the 330 ? Or hasn't it got wet yet ?
I'm looking at buying a DSLR .............

Rich, thanks for that. The update that Andy tipped me off on actually sits in a folder accessible for all CS2 applications. So, now both Bridge and Photoshop are able to use it and when I click on the image in Bridge...boom.....it goes straight into the RAW processor in Photoshop.

Andy, the pics in my Flickr were taken with either a C5050 or C8080. I just got my Ikelite housing for the E330 last night and I am dying to get it wet!!! Wish me luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom