[HELP] Stripped HP balance plug on APEKS FSR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeke XA3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Queensland - Australia - Most of the time
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have been trying to service an APEKS FSR

I tired to take the HP balance plug out of the 1st stage but it would not budge, so i soaked it in a bath and tried again only this time with the first application of strength it stripped the allen key slot. Now the 6mm key just slowly turns in the slot.

Ideas on how i can remove this plug? Ordering a new one is not a problem but i still need to get the old one out!

An easy out!?(name of a tool) Do you have any pics?
There are many ways to get it out, getting it out with care is the issue.
See you topside! John

You could try an "easy out" but you might have to drill the hole a bit deeper to get it to bite.
Order a new part.....but you are going to have to get the old assembly out sometime.

Ask the engineer....there's bound to be something onboard that'll get it out.

Last edited:
images.jpg
Will get a photo tomorrow, but this is nearly the model but the top is the same, the 6mm hex hole at the top is what has stripped. I know the part is FUBARed just need to get it out without damaging the rest of the body

Im the trainee engineer on board so i know nearly every tool we have but will ask just in case

If an easy-out is not available or won't work, I have a trick that has solved this problem many times.

Drill a hole all the way through the plug. Drive an allen wrench (hex key) into the hole and use it to turn the plug out.

Obviously you will need the rights size of drill bit and use a lot of care.

wont the allen key just strip a round hole anyway?

wont the allen key just strip a round hole anyway?

Not if you drill the right sized hole for the allen key. It has to be slightly smaller so that a hammer is need to drive the key into it. As the key is driven in, it cuts corners into the plug that it will grab. I generally either cut of an allen key (hard to hammer it in if it is a 90 degree key) or use one that is fitted to a socket drive.

When you do find a way to get a tool to grab again, try more finesse and less force. Hot and cold treatments will loosen up any corrosion and also get expansion coefficients working in your favor. Hot body and cold plug.

If you have the access, get your easy out in place, than soak the entire reg in hot water. With everything at 140F or so, a shot of liquid nitrogen on the plug should get some seperation. If it does not come out firly easily, repeat the treatment rather than adding more force.

When this has happened to me with port plugs, I used a Torqs head bit that fit in the hole, they seem to be a little bit larger than than the Allen and grab the corners (may need to tap in with a hammer). and was able to extract it that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom