Help ! Spear gun restoration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Visit a paint shop and get a quart can of Nitro Solvent. If you visit a home improvement store instead, be prepared for a useless replacement for Nitro Solvent that isn't good for anything.

Michael

khm... may be I missunderstood you, but if you ask about some kind of adhesive tapes - the best (and first) way to remove it - is Heat gun. (btw you can ask hairdryer from your wife ) I am using Hot air soldering station.
Heat the tape with the barrel till 50-60 deg C (140F) and than using hard plastic spatel (to prevent schratches for anodizing) remove the tape.
Than use Ethanol or White spirit remove glue tails with paper or cotton rags.

or exists toons of special adhesive tapes removers, like c-22, 3M 03618 or "Label-Off spray"-s

I also have an old spear gun somebody gave me. I have no idea of the age but it’s a 42” long rear handle gun that’s fairly light weight with and aluminum body. On the right side of the handle it says “RENE CAVALERO - MARSEILLE FRANCE”
And on the left side it says: “arbelete CHAMPION”.
One of the shaft guides on the end of the gun is broken off so the gun is useless at the moment, but I might figure out a way to fix it. I just want to use it and don’t care much about any historical significance. It also had a bunch of tape wrapped around it but it was black electrical tape. I’m guessing this gun is from the 60’s.
I’ll also need to make bands for it and the spear needs a tip.

@АлександрД,
As usual your suggestions are right on and certainly appreciated,

When I was actively hunting and shooting the gun I taped off lengths to measure the fish to insure it was legal. That was 50 years ago.
The Gringo American masking tape has crystalized and became as hard as concrete, very difficult to even cut with a knife.
So I have been showering with the gun hoping the hot steaming run off water would have effect and it has a minimum effect

Next step is to soak the effected areas in "Goo Gone" and wrap the barrel in clear plastic and allow to soak and soften for a day,

Old SCUBA Board friend stay tuned for the next exciting installment of "One man's Spear gun "
SAM

@Eric Sedletzky
I will have some tine tomorrow for your gun
Question ?? Why the entire barrel was wrapped with black electrical tape ?
Any one want to guess why ?

sdm

@Eric Sedletzky
I will have some tine tomorrow for your gun
Question ?? Why the entire barrel was wrapped with black electrical tape ?
Any one want to guess why ?
sdm
To stop reflections from the shiny aluminium barrel spooking the fish at the last moment before firing?
I wrap the barrel of my Mares pneumatic spearguns with that cheap digital camo adhesive film for the same reason... also helps blend into the weedy areas if lying in ambush for a good sized Silver Drummer to swim past!

@CuzzA
A lot of guys use flashers to help bring in fish. Shiny reflection is good. The fish know you're there, closing the gap is often the challenge.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hombre
You are so correct "flashers."
In SoCal we have a blue water fish with the common name tail,'

It is a very curious fish...
We often would wave our hands as if waving to a friend and here they come
swimming flank speed straight at you

Later when the pull tab drinks became popular we collected the pull tabs and affixed one to as many as three via rubber band on the end of our gun's barrel. As we spotted them or they us we just moved the barrel of the spear gun ever so slightly to create a flash.

Now spearfishermen purchase them

As I recall Dano of @MAKO Spearguns sells the commercial variety

Thanks as always for your input- appreciated !

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom