Help please ... planing a Galapagos and maybe Machu Picchu trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are most of the dives multilevel or squarish? I tend to dive squarish, if the opportunity is there. As little depth change on a dive as possible, so the NDL advantage actually goes to the tables.

It's a situational awareness thing, computers do calculations that many divers can't manage, I get that, but they also make even good, attentive divers complacent, insufficient situational awareness. Wait for the beep and then start up, keeping from beeping on the way up kinda diving ... just not my style.

From talking to divers I know there is a mixture, some sites are wall drifts and some start at depth and move shallower. And depending on the marine life you may want to move depth, I want to be near the whale shark...

With the computer you are still in control, you don't have to have beeps on, or dive to the computer. If I ascend I don't dive to the 'beep' I should ascend as the correct rate, and should have planned my assent to allow the safety stop and reserve gas. The computer is great when I am on the way up and see a 'last shark' and need to go for one more photo, check the computer yes or no on NDL.

I have done comparisons with NAUI tables and my Mares computer and even on square profiles dives to about 27m the computer gives a better time particularly for the second dive. Often the tables would not give any bottom time on the second dive.

My plans for clothes: Down parka, watch cap, baseball cap, light neoprene gloves (double for some diving). 2pr. ripstop nylon cargo pants with zip off legs, Patagonia top, 2 cotton tees, 3 pr cotton socks, 2 pr wool socks and light hiking boots.

Should I take a hiking tent and down bag?
If you are going with an organised group (and I think that is the only option given permits) then they will supply the tent, sleeping bag and mat. We optioned up for a better down bag and thermorest mat. You can get a porter but they will only carry 7Kg, anything else you carry, or leave at the hotel.

The down jacket is the more bulky item, and is not required apart from 3 nights. We will also have thermals for morning and evening, they may also be used under the dry suit. So we can also take our so we can also double up with the Dry-suit undies (a bit like a track suit on nicer).

From talking to divers I know there is a mixture, some sites are wall drifts and some start at depth and move shallower. And depending on the marine life you may want to move depth, I want to be near the whale shark...

With the computer you are still in control, you don't have to have beeps on, or dive to the computer. If I ascend I don't dive to the 'beep' I should ascend as the correct rate, and should have planned my assent to allow the safety stop and reserve gas. The computer is great when I am on the way up and see a 'last shark' and need to go for one more photo, check the computer yes or no on NDL.

I have done comparisons with NAUI tables and my Mares computer and even on square profiles dives to about 27m the computer gives a better time particularly for the second dive. Often the tables would not give any bottom time on the second dive.
That's because NAUI tables (like most sports tables) have BS safety margins built in. I use Huggins or USN vanilla

Safety stops are (despite the common practice) a good idea if you have good control of your bottom time and assent rate. Deep stops make a lot more sense (theoretically and practically) but this is not the place for a deco theory discussion, happy to oblige elsewhere or in private. It's sounding like I'll have to just grin and bear whatever sort of half backed sports diving voodoo they want to throw at me. I just wanted to check on how bad it might be. So I take my old EDGE with me, or maybe borrow a friends' backup hockey puck.
If you are going with an organised group (and I think that is the only option given permits) then they will supply the tent, sleeping bag and mat. We optioned up for a better down bag and thermorest mat. You can get a porter but they will only carry 7Kg, anything else you carry, or leave at the hotel.

The down jacket is the more bulky item, and is not required apart from 3 nights. We will also have thermals for morning and evening, they may also be used under the dry suit. So we can also take our so we can also double up with the Dry-suit undies (a bit like a track suit on nicer).
Jacket stuffs down to almost nothing. I can pack everything I need in 14 kilos, I'd carry it myself but I don't want to take a pack and frame. My dry suit undies are one piece ... too bad.

That's because NAUI tables (like most sports tables) have BS safety margins built in. I use Huggins or USN vanilla
I was taught with native US Divers tables, so I am aware of the difference :) and can use either.

Safety stops are (despite the common practice) a good idea if you have good control of your bottom time and assent rate. Deep stops make a lot more sense (theoretically and practically) but this is not the place for a deco theory discussion, happy to oblige elsewhere or in private.
My research and reading is that more recently deep stops aren't being seen as a benefit... but as you say that is for another topic and there are a few already on Scubaboard.

It's sounding like I'll have to just grin and bear whatever sort of half backed sports diving voodoo they want to throw at me. I just wanted to check on how bad it might be. So I take my old EDGE with me, or maybe borrow a friends' backup hockey puck.
I guess you have to decide why you are going to the Galapagos. I am going to dive some incredible sites. Provided the operator does not impose controls that are a risk then I will dive. If they impose a computer then have two. To be blunt if you cannot, with confidence, commit to the operators requirements then don't go you will put others at risk, dive ops have a model they work to its proven for them and they see it minimised overall risk. Alternatively, organise a boat that will meet your needs. I have friends who are into tech diving and they will charter the boat so they can do their thing.

Go and enjoy, take photos and bring back great memories :)

That's why I'm looking toward working out of the lab.

I really can't see how our procedures, which have provided complete and utter safety for over 4 million dives, will put others at risk. Frankly I am used to negotiating the operational procedures prior to each cruise as part of a knowledgeable conversation between my home diving control board and that of the operating institution with the National Science Foundation Shipboard Diving Safety Standards as the central document.

Anyway, it's their boat ... but it's my money, we'll reach a meeting of the minds, gently, over time, before we board the boat.

Do they commit to first aid supplies and such, e.g., how much oxygen do they carry, what sorts of radios and com gear? RDF? etc.

I am not quite sure why you have come to these boards. You seem to just want someone to say you are right and refute other comment. You seem to 'know better', have better procedures, be an important person with a diving control board, be able to quote long names.

I aim to go diving and enjoy the experience, I will abide by the boats rules, unless they are truly dangerous, and I expect they will support me if something goes wrong.

Enjoy what ever you do how ever you do it.

The US Navy tables require much longer surface intervals than any other algorithm I have heard of. That was the primary reason for the creation of the DSAT tables more than 30 years ago--divers following those tables were having a lot of trouble getting in multiple dives in a day. If you are doing square profiles, the Navy tables will give you more time on your first dive, but you will get less and less and less time on the following dives.

My husband and I did the Galapagos and Macchu Picchu in December/January. We were told due to El Nino the water was unusually warm when we were there and it was 24 to 28 Celcius. I tend to get cold while diving I started with a 5mm suit and upped to a 9mm suit. Hoods were not needed when we were there and gloves were not allowed, I'm not sure if that was our shops rule or a park rule.

Are you doing a liveaboard or doing day trips from one of the islands? As we were backpacking we did six days diving from Santa Cruz. As we were on a nine month trip we didn't have room to bring all of our gear with us, the shop we went with provided all the gear and it was all in very good shape.

I am going to echo what others have said about current as they can be quite strong. There are some sites where most shops/liveaboards have a minimum number of dives needed before they will let you dive there. I would recommend e-mailing the shop you are going with and see what they say. In terms of computer or no computer, every person I dove with had their own computer, whether or not it was mandatory I am not sure. I think it was very beneficial for us to have our computers as pretty much every dive was multi-level and it gave us plenty more time to hang out with the school of hammerheads.

Machu Picchu is beautiful, there is a limit of 2500 people per day allowed to visit the site. I went during off season and there was about 1500 people there that day and it was BUSY I can't imagine what it would be like during high season. I recommend staying late into the afternoon, almost everyone will start their day at opening (6am) if you can stay until the afternoon most people get tired and leave and the crowds thinned out again. I would suggest booking your train back for the day after you plan on going to Machu Picchu so that you can stay as long as possible and enjoy the site. If you are up for it I also recommend doing one of the extra hikes, we did Machu Picchu mountain and it was beautiful.

Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom