Help!! Pelican Case Size for 1 Set of Gear???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pussgurka

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I need some help. From reading all posts, I have decided to buy a Pelican case for my gear when I travel. The problem is I don't know what size of the Pelican case I should get!

I only need the bag to fit 1 set of gear: 1 reg, 1 bcd, 1 thin wetsuit, 1 thick wetsuit, mask, fins, and snorkel. I don't own a tank and am not planning on owning one in the near future.

I would like to get the smallest Pelican case possible. Easier to travel that way :eek:) Is Pelican #1610 big enough? (22 3/16" l, 17 1/8" w and 10 9/16"d)

Also, do I need to buy the "Pick and Puck" Foam for the bag? Won't it mold if the gears weren't totally dry?

Thanks guys!!

I used to use Pelican cases but not any more. TSA and the airlines both seem ... with me at least... to just zero in on them. TSA always wants to open them and the airlines does too then charges extra for dive gear or because the cases are just dang heavy...relatively speaking....empty.

I went to LOWES and got a tupperware like tough...small...plastic container that my bcd...mask...and a couple of other items will fit into no problem. I then put that container into a NON DESCRIPT duffle bag that has nothing to do with diving stickers all over it yelling charge me more or steal me...and I have had zero problems since doing this.

oh...forgot...around the plastic case i put two of those luggage straps so that as the luggage apes with the airlines throw the bags around the top of the plastic container does not pop off.//

I have the 1650. It works great. I've been asked what's in it, and I have had to open it. I have never been charged extra. Check with your airline first. Air-Tran allows up to 70lbs per bag. also they don't charge extra for scuba gear.

You might want to check out Hardigg Strom Cases.

They’re knockoffs but with improvements. The handles and latches are better and the pressure equalizing valve is automatic so the screw can’t get lost. The pricing is the about the same between the two as they are direct competition. We use them a lot at work for transporting electronic equipment. We can buy either from the same distributor but every customer that has seen the two side by side has preferred the storm cases. One drawback is that there are less size options.

Mike

RICHinNC:
I used to use Pelican cases but not any more. TSA and the airlines both seem ... with me at least... to just zero in on them. TSA always wants to open them and the airlines does too then charges extra for dive gear or because the cases are just dang heavy...relatively speaking....empty.

the Pelican 1650 is great for dive gear. It's my favorite.

TSA Info

As for those who will tell you they are targeted by TSA (airport security) thats true (in a way). Pelican type cases are all targeted due to the type of electronics etc. that they have been traditionally used for. They make great cases for all sorts of potentially bad stuff, But the TSA people (my sister is one of them) are trained to spot potentially questionable cases and check them out, They are also taught that the majority of those cases are being used harmlessly by normal people for normal purposes.

I used to use a regular suit case for dive gear that always got checked as well. the reason is that the airports now have to X-Ray every bag that flies, Dive gear with all its questionable metal parts will almost always get searched anyway no matter what bag you put it in due to its X-Ray profile. Getting my gear safely back inside the regular suit case was always a nightmare while it easily slipped back into a pelican case.

Interesting side note:

I have read much about people not wanting to use pelican cases due to the fact that they "Profile" their bag as full of dive gear. Well I can tell you that my wife and I lead dive trips all over the world and the only bags we have ever had come up missing were the ones that look like regular suit cases never the Pelican cases? I don't know why but that's the truth. I think it may be that we as divers value our gear more than the theives who may be looking for other booty first...

Kevin Parkhurst

I have a pair of Pelican's that don't get used any more, because I simply cannot pack the silly things to stay under 50 pounds. I finally found some slightly shorter fins that I actually like, so now everything except my wet suit will fit in a roll aboard. That's my BC, mask fins, computer and ADS. Granted I had to get creative about doing it. But this way all that stuff goes with me, things like clothes and even the wet suit are pretty easy to replace. Quick disconnects on the computer (Cobra) help too.

And my "computer" bag even contains a few other items. Occassionally even my computer. But it can also carry a swim suit and a T-shirt, and a few other small items.

I will always have to check one bag on these flights, that or do with out a dive tool, so better to check clothes, and other unnecessary stuff. Not to mention it tends to weight a bit less.

Oh, and my Pelicans were left sitting at the airport once, they were near the weight limit on the plane, and guess what looked like the heaviest thing to leave behind. You got it my Pelicans.

Thanks for all of your advice. I might look for another method of holding all of my gears when I travel. I forgot about the weight limit on the luggage. I would hate to have to pay extra every time I fly with a packed Pelican case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom