Help on Sea & Sea MM2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The lowest focus on the MMIIEx is a macro setting. It pushes another lens behind the main lens and allows you to get VERY close.
edit: Alcina already said it...18 inches.

Kim:
It pushes another lens behind the main lens and allows you to get VERY close. edit: Alcina already said it...18 inches.

Just fyi - 18 inches is not close underwater, it's miles...most of the useful compact digitals will focus to well less than half of that in macro mode.

There is going to be a learning curve with this camera - just like any other. Best bet is to try to "get your eye in" for that 18 inch minimum and learn what that looks like through the viewfinder so you get an idea of what sized subjects will work. You can also practice setting your strobes to make sure they are lighting the subject when it is at this distance. Practice on land or in the pool - anywhere...on a dive you don't want to be "learning" so much as applying what you've learned. Unless you're more patient than I am and don't mind returning from a dive with ruined images!

Quick and dirty rule of thumb: extend your arm straight out...18 inches is tips of fingers to elbow. You cannot take photos with that system, as is, of anything inside that range.

Quick and dirty rule of thumb #2: extend your arm straight out...3 feet is about a hands width past your fingertips. I told you it was quick and dirty! You're starting to reach the end of the range of your strobes there so another foot or so (try to visualise about two arm lengths from your camera) is the max distance away you want to be.

Kim: someone also said to keep the apperture at full open setting but the manual of the camera says to keep it at standard setting (forgot the number) if going on a day dive. have you tried this.

Yes, practice makes perfect, kinda pricey though cause of developing and film. a big plus for digital.

If you use a large aperture setting it's harder to get good focus because the focal distance decreases. It's a trade off. The problem is that distance is difficult to judge U/W as Alcina already pointed out and you really need to practice a lot to get anywhere - it's quite frustrating. If you look at my photo gallerys the earliest one from Okinawa was shot using the MMIIEx. I maybe shot 10 or 12 rolls of film (36 exposures each one) just to get what is there. There was quite a lot of Photoshopping involved as well removing back scatter and trying to bring out more colour.
Digital is MUCH easier and I have to admit my MMIIEx basically lives in a box in the cupboard these days.....

I'm not Kim, but I'll chime in...I'm not a fan of wide open apertures. Tends to make the image look a little soft. Better, imo, to stop down a bit. 5.6 should be a realistic starting place for relatively bright water. If it's really murky you might not have much other choice than to open up.

The biggest downside to film cameras such as this is the learning curve. It's expensive in time, money and frustration to learn.

Have you considered grabbing one of the very good and relatively inexpensive digitals instead of banging your head with this system?

clgsamson:
I once had a reefmaster and after two dives ditched it and went the digital route. Never looked back but I'm poorer now..

LOL: Diving alone is making me poor, getting hooked into UW photography will really make me poorer. Hehe

If you see someone walking around aqua with a yellow MMIIEX with strobes around his neck, thats me. Maybe I can get more tips from you. :)

Btw, I joined H***L's group a long time ago and he was with someone who kept on taking UW photos.....

.....I think it was the dive where we saw mating nudibranchs in sombrero (2nd dive) :huh:

Sorry for hijacking my own thread....

Kim: nice shots with the MMII EX. When my pictures become that nice i'll letyou know. hehe. that might take sometime though. :)

Mampsa:
LOL: Diving alone is making me poor, getting hooked into UW photography will really make me poorer. Hehe

If you see someone walking around aqua with a yellow MMIIEX with strobes around his neck, thats me. Maybe I can get more tips from you. :)

Btw, I joined H***L's group a long time ago and he was with someone who kept on taking UW photos.....

.....I think it was the dive where we saw mating nudibranchs in sombrero (2nd dive) :huh:

Sorry for hijacking my own thread....

Kim: nice shots with the MMII EX. When my pictures become that nice i'll letyou know. hehe. that might take sometime though. :)
Ah you were with the second group...yes I remember now, late last year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom