Help! On crutches-needing advice-Belize/Panama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Haven't been on in a while, since my dive trip to Utila last year...

Now, I'm needing advice:

My husband and I have 9 days to chill out - before I start grad school.
The limitation is - I'm on crutches (and will for a month more) and so, our normal adventure diving/travel is out.

This is what we're looking for: a relatively private over-the-water, stand-alone cabana, hut, cabin, room - in either Panama or Belize. Ideally - we can slip right off the porch into the water and snorkel (without much walking to get there). Lastly, ideally the resort would have food available nearby.
Don't need nightlife.

And, easy-to-access boat dives (where I can just fall over and gear up in the water).

As long as a bus, taxi or plane gets us to the lodging, we'll be fine.

Please help with any ideas...we're going from May 22 - 31...and want to book asap!!!

Bocas Del Toro? Placencia?

Thanks to anyone with ideas!

CoCoView of Roatan. Darned near handicapped accessable even by US standards. It is located between Belize and Panama, as well.

Yep....as I was reading your post I kept thinking CCV would fit you perfectly. http://www.cocoviewresort.com/ You might want to call Roatan Charters, 800-282-8932, and see what they have left at this late date. They may have some last minute cancellations.

I'll put in vote #3 for Coco View. If you choose CCV, I would suggetst a direct flight to Roatan. My wife and I went Belize in 1999, and she had a cast up to her knee compliments of a broken ankle. She had a tough time getting on and off the "puddle jumper" planes. The ladder use to enter them was steep and narrow. Getting around in the cramp confines was a trick. We stayed at the Victoria House. She had a pretty tuff time getting across the sandy areas, but her unique tracks made her easy to find when I returned from diving. Where ever you go, beware of tile floors in the morning. The tropical humid air leaves dew on cold tile. Crutches don't like wet tile.

I'm just wondering about one thing. Are you able to climb a ladder to re-enter the boat?

Thanks for your replies. Very interesting.

Last year about this time we were deciding between Roatan and Utila. CoCoView was our top choice, but it was booked - so we ended up diving with Captain Morgans (and later Blue Water Divers) in Utila. I ended up writing a trip report afterwards - had a great time. And, I'd forgotten all about CoCoView til these replies. Hmmm, I'll go and check prices on flights, as well as availability at CoCoView.

I do remember hearing less than a year ago, that two divers from CoCoView died. Was this figured out? Equipment failure? As I recall, one diver was closely associated with CoCoView and was well known and respected...

And - to answer cowjazz, yes, I can climb up - as long as I can hand my gear up, I can pull myself up.

L Cooper:
And - to answer cowjazz, yes, I can climb up - as long as I can hand my gear up, I can pull myself up.

They also have a hoist system. 1 involves manual labor from crew and volunteers which is more than sufficient for most. The other is a wheel chair hoist, a bit cumbersome by our US standards.

They host several wheel chair divers each year, ramps are laid down, and a few of the rooms are accessable, certainly by Honduran standards. I have had the pleasure of speaking and diving with many, and CCV seems to attract the same kind of handicapped divers as it does us "regular" 2 flippered types. They come to dive above any other attraction or reason. It works well for them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom