help on chromatic abberation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubatooth:
there is no CA (purple fringe in this photo) and with CA theres really not anything you can do for it as it is a result of the lense of the camera and refractory of light.

I see some in the corners (upper left in particular) around the anemone tenticles - but hardly a lot worth extensive correction. There is so much more as far as color, exposure and sharpness that is good in the shot and thus it doesn't really factor in.

And there is something that can be done to correct such aberations - and very accurately and specifically if one is so inclined. In fact, a long while back someone here had a terrific link to an article on doing extensive CA correction that was very technical but very effectoive and dealt with just the kind of abberation that takes place in this photo. I wish I still had the link. I might still on my old office computer. I did a search not too long ago on such articles and didn't find that particular article, but I did find others that were variations on it and some looked quite good.

The fixes I have seen were quite technical - and didn't involve simple uses of a few PS filters and tools - but they did get the job done.

Thanks fdog, I'm going to give that a try, it'll give me a good start.
I hope you can find that link nlbford, it would also be useful.
Thanks fo the link mike but that CS feature is for the raw plugin - I can't shot raw unfortunately.

Thanks for the help everyone I think it looks a lot better now, not perfect but pretty good. Fdog I expanded red (.998) and shrunk blue (1.0035) thanks for the quick lesson. Don't know if the difference really shows up in smaller images here but it is a big change for the high res one.

Original
23754IMG_8477.jpg

CA Removed
23754IMG_8477fix.jpg

Nicely done, lukeROB! Makes quite a bit of difference to my eye.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom