Help, New / Used Dry suit ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donooo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I need to make up my mind today. On friday I went into a dealer and spent a lot of time trying on a Whites Nexus II. This is what I had decided on for a lot of reasons but only one good one. $$$$$ In my dreams I would buy either a DUI 50/50 or a Whites Catalyst. As I'am trying to remain un-employed, neither make sense. I have a chance today to pick up a used DUI 50/50 from a dive shop that I have not seen and will be shipped. It has a torn wrist seal that needs to be replaced and he will throw in a pair of used rock boots. Used DUI 50/50 $500 plus repairs. New Nexus with underwear, boots and hose $950 +tax. So, take the risk and go for the front entry, better quality (?) suit or go conservative and have the warranty and back entry and other stuff ?

Seems almost like a coin flip to me, so help me out. I only get to buy one Drusuit. I over enginer everything.

adios don O

donooo:
I need to make up my mind today. On friday I went into a dealer and spent a lot of time trying on a Whites Nexus II. This is what I had decided on for a lot of reasons but only one good one. $$$$$ In my dreams I would buy either a DUI 50/50 or a Whites Catalyst. As I'am trying to remain un-employed, neither make sense. I have a chance today to pick up a used DUI 50/50 from a dive shop that I have not seen and will be shipped. It has a torn wrist seal that needs to be replaced and he will throw in a pair of used rock boots. Used DUI 50/50 $500 plus repairs. New Nexus with underwear, boots and hose $950 +tax. So, take the risk and go for the front entry, better quality (?) suit or go conservative and have the warranty and back entry and other stuff ?

Seems almost like a coin flip to me, so help me out. I only get to buy one Drusuit. I over enginer everything.

adios don O

Every dry suit you ever own will need wrist seals. This isn't unusual, this is normal maintenance.

Given the choices you have and assuming that both suits fit you equally well then I would go for the new one.... but that's just me.

R..

Go for the new drysuit. Different makes fit differently and get the one that fits the best not because of who made it. Just my experience, used drysuit usually equals leaky drysuit.

I'd go with the new one also. You'd still need to p/u an under suit, whip etc. and not seeing the suit, who knows what kind of shape it's in.

hardhat:
I'd go with the new one also. You'd still need to p/u an under suit, whip etc. and not seeing the suit, who knows what kind of shape it's in.
I've had a Whites Nexus for about 80 or 90 dives, and I love it (bought it new). Dollar for dollar it is one of the best package drysuit bargains on the market (IMHO).

It's my 3rd dry suit. My first two were used (a DUI neoprene and a OS Systems shell). Owning the used suits first gave me hours of great training in suit repair, including but not limited to, leak location, leak repair, valve repair and replacement, changing my own wrist and neck seals and gluing on a pocket.

Every once in a while, I even got a dry dive out of them.

Thanks all, I've come back to my senses. If I buy a drysuit in the next few days/weeks, I'll stick with the new Nexus. A temporay moment of confusion. (9th grade)

adios

For what it is worth I just bought my first dry suit and it was the Nexus II package from Scubatoys. Only a couple of dives in it but so far so good. A great package tas it came with backpack, undersuit, hoses, valves, boots. Wonderful service from scubatoys (my first purchase from them). Other divers commented how well thought out it was. Only down side so far is I had to buy a bigger pair of force fins to fit over the boots.

OOOOOOOOOo No, I use a pair of XL Force fins. Looks like I might go with a size 12 boot. New Fins ? $$$ Tell me your boot size and fin size please.

tnx don O

donooo:
OOOOOOOOOo No, I use a pair of XL Force fins. Looks like I might go with a size 12 boot. New Fins ? $$$ Tell me your boot size and fin size please.

tnx don O
Yeah, I'm a 12, and you might need an XXL. As a temporary solution, instead of the rock boots, you could use a pair of neoprene booties over the feet and fit into your XL fins.

Or, pick up some Turtles or Jets on Ebay for 50.00.

I am a size 10 and could use XL force fins with soft neoprene booties on a rental dry suit when I did some training.

However, the boots that come with the Nexus package are wonderful but like a pair of hiking boots and could not fit in my fins. So, got a pair of XXL for my dry suit and will use the XL for warm water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom