Help need dive destination in Caribean...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:wink:
badassbill:
Every vacation I've ever gone on in the Caribbean has at least one day of rain. What do you do when it rains and the vis is low....Bill

On my honeymoon--though its now been 12 years, I can definately say " It wasn't shopping that I was interested in : lol-yakivet :42:

Curacao is good diving with some decent shopping and interesting sightseeing.

I'd suggest Young Island on St Vincent as a great honeymoon place with very nice diving, but not really much shopping. But when I'm there I have little desire to leave paradise and look for shopping anyway.

There are many islands in the Bahamas, going there once doesn't mean you've explored the place. Maybe consider an out island for the diving combined with a few days in "civilization" for some shopping. Same with Cayman, you can go to a different area of Grand Cayman than you did the first time, or to Little Cayman or the Brac, it won't be like going back to the same place. Some time at Little Cayman Beach Resort could make a nice honeymoon, and you could add a few days in Grand Cayman for the civilization and shopping part if you need that.

Rain often doesn't prevent diving. And if it's a really rainy day, the last place I'd want to be is out shopping. I'd rather hole up in my nice room with a good book (or whatever. :)

Gotta agree with Tim. Check out Cozumel. Easy jump to Mexico and unlimited things to do. Check out scubawithalison.com if you want a charter.

Have fun.

Bill,
Welcome to the club. I was married last May and we went to Greece. Since you want the Carib, I suggest Cozumel. I asked my wife to marry me when we were there. We stayed in the Iberostar and they had nice thatched roof (top floor) apartment/huts. Coz is diving focused and tends to be lowest cost. The town is a cheap taxi drive away and has tons of shopping. Side trips can be taken to several Mayan ruins or to Xel-ha Snorkel Park. The park is kinda like an amusement park so I would skip it. I assume your wife-to-be is a diver. Xel-ha would be good for someone new and nervous to being in the ocean and wants a low stress snorkel experience. If you go, remember everything is negotiable and the displays at the tourist sites usually have the inflated prices. You can easily get an all-inclusive package so you can focus on other things! Make sure to get your dives figured out before you go. You can dive from the shore but they have a strong current that you won't want to swim against for long. Hope this helps.

Rookie_J:
curious why no one mentions Jamaica? I loved Negril...

Because the diving. . in a word. . sucks and the shopping can be a stressful experience.

Aruba

Tons of shopping and restaurants, clean, safe, great water and beaches and lots of wrecks to dive on.

Rookie_J:
the diving sucks??? :06:

are other places that much nicer?

Almost all other places are better than Jamaica! It's true. Tim's right and I'm not sure even of where it's worse for fish life, the Jamaicans have eaten most of the fish and lobster,ect. If you think Jamaica is good, you need to travel .......somewhere or anywhere in the Carribean. Try Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Bahamas, Cayman, Cozumel, Turks & Caicos, Cuba, St. Vincent and Grenadines, US & Brit Virgins, Puerto Rico, other MEXiCO sites, Dominica, St. Lucia, Saba, maybe worse would be Haiti, Dom. Rep.....maybe.
:11:

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom