Help Narrowing down Choices Oceanic, Sherwood, Suunto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SVT_Tactical

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Looking at the Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1, Sherwood Wisdom 2, and Suunto Cobra units. All air integrated. Can someone give me pros and cons of each? Does one have easier navagation for the user? I'm a new diver and want something somewhat simple and but still able to grow with me. Are all pretty equal?

The Pro Plus and the Sherwood are both Pelagic computers if I'm not mistaken. Good computers if you like consoles. If you mean grow with you as in maybe get into tech diving - none of your choices will work well for that. Consoles and air integration are both frowned upon.

You may also find that unless you have bad eyes those bricks on the end of your HP hose will get in the way. That's a con. As is the fact that if your computer dies you have no idea how much air you have left and if you have a second dive planned and know you are ok with your NDL's you still can't do the dive as you have no way to monitor your pressure.

Pro's - well big display on the PP2 and Wisdom, if you get them with the quick connect you can take the computer off the reg to log your dives. Those are about the only ones I can think of.

What you need to define is "grow with you". Then choose. Personally knowing what I know now and knowing at some point I was going to do tech, this is what I would choose. Nothing else would come close: Petrel OC/CC Standalone | Trimix Dive Computer for Tech DivingShearwater Research

I love my PP2.1. Easy to see, provides plenty of info, not QD on purpise but still download data to Dive Log 5. As with any equip failure, unless you have a backup it's time to thumb the dive.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Do you know there's now a ProPlus 3 out? If not, take a long, hard look and what you get for the price difference, and make your decision accordingly.

I like air integration in computers that incorporate the info. into the log for download to computer later, which saves me the bother of writing down entry & exit pressures, and calculates a SAC automatically.

I think a ProPlus 2.1 or 3 would do fine for most any diving you care to do aside from tech. diving, and really, by the time you're ready to push into that, at the rate technology advances, isn't it fairly likely you're going to want a new computer then anyway?

If not, and you want one that can grow into tech., cool, check out the Shearwater Petrel.

Richard.

Isn't Petrel twice the price of a Pro Plus? (yep, does some groovy things, but you may not need all those features for a while. something to consider.)

If you like a console my first choice would be Cobalt, then ProPlus 3. There is also a new Aeris console you can check out, but the ProPlus 3 has the preferred analog compass.

Thanks for all the info guys. When I say grow I mean just that. I'm a new diver. I know I like spearfishing and such now but not sure if it will take me anywhere else at the time. One of the reason I wanted air integration is it give better time thats left given my breathing rate which fluctuates while I'm either looking or chasing. I didn't want to spend an extreme amount either. The PP3 and PP2 are very similar from what I can tell and to me the 3 isn't worth the extra 250. I like the cobalt but the price is to much for me to stomach to spend. i'd like to keep it at or below $500.

---------- Post added August 14th, 2013 at 07:06 PM ----------

Well just picked up the oceanic pp3 from the classified section. To good a price to pass on.

Thanks for all the info guys. When I say grow I mean just that. I'm a new diver. I know I like spearfishing and such now but not sure if it will take me anywhere else at the time. One of the reason I wanted air integration is it give better time thats left given my breathing rate which fluctuates while I'm either looking or chasing. I didn't want to spend an extreme amount either. The PP3 and PP2 are very similar from what I can tell and to me the 3 isn't worth the extra 250. I like the cobalt but the price is to much for me to stomach to spend. i'd like to keep it at or below $500.

---------- Post added August 14th, 2013 at 07:06 PM ----------

Well just picked up the oceanic pp3 from the classified section. To good a price to pass on.

Good choice. It has the dual algorithm and the better implementation of air time over the Suunto. Also the analog compass beats digital.

I have a first gen Suunto Cobra. It has been a very reliable computer and easy to use. BUT, it is VERY conservative too. Just so you know. B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom