help my fear...need advice/info please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as how often camera's flood it is all about how you care for it. A freind of mine told me when I first got My Nikonos V, "It is not if it floods, it is when." That said I have done hundreds of dives now and I have never flooded the camera or strobes, so through proper maintence cameras do not have to flood.

As far as what causes a flood it is nearly always user error. When a Sea & Sea camera (and UK lights for that matter) is returned for flooding the tech will clean and lubercate all user replaceable o-rings and do a "pot dive" to 150ish feet and if it passes (no water in the housing) the manufactorer says it was user error and is not usually covered under warrenty.

Follow the manual as far as o-ring lubercation, because different o-rings require different amounts of grease. Also use lint free towells to clean the o-ring.

It is always a good idea to test a new housing without the camera, because it could be damaged in shipping, and insurance never hurts.

Dive only in fresh water as housings only flood in salt water...

rmannix:
Dive only in fresh water as housings only flood in salt water...

:rofl:

along those lines, use only your crappy camera... never use your
new, really expensive camera

1,000 expensive cameras flood for every crappy one

(word!)

:wink:

exactly what type of insurance are you referring to? some sort of insurance was something i had in mind, but don't know what kind that woud cover this sort of thing?
thanks!
ac

Here's a tip in addition to the others. Don't get in a hurry! Shortcuts mightl mess you up! Also, diving at night? - Try to load the camera in daylight. If the night dive is the second dive, use fresh, strong batteries and take only necessary pics on the first dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom