help my fear...need advice/info please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

achenry

Registered
Reaction score
I am new to diving but love taking pictures. After some research I just purchased a Casio EX-Z55 digital point and shoot camera and it's partnered underwater housing. I would love any tips or information you are willing to share about being sure my new camera doesn't get ruined. Any information out there on how often these housings fail and why? I've heard even the tiniest hair or grain of sand can cause a leak! Anything you have to offer would be really great! I'm off to caye caulker in belize at the end of february and am looking forward to getting some great underwater photos...but am also terrified at ruining my new ( and fairly expensive) camera!
Thanks a bunch,
achenry

Get some blue shop towels. Put them inside of the housing without the camera. Close it up and toss it in the bathtub. Work all of the buttons and knobs on the housing and then leave it in the bathtub overnight. The blue shop towels really show up moisture, and if you have any kind of leak, you'll know it. (Unless it's a pinhole leak that doesn't show up until the housing is at 80-100')

your o-ring is going to be the key to keeping the camera safe.

keep the o-ring clean and lubed per manufacturer's instructions.

before a dive, put the camera in a rinse bucket (don't put it in with
the masks -- defoger ruins o-rings) and make sure it's not "bubbling"
(i.e. leaking)

avoid jumping into the water with the camera, to avoid jarring the housing.
jump in and have someone hand you the camera

i'm a newbie too, but these tips have helped me

H2Andy:
keep the o-ring clean and lubed per manufacturer's instructions.

Yup. But be aware that the o-ring just needs to be moist - big globules of silicon on the o-ring are as likely to cause a leak as hairs etc. To lube the o-ring, just put a bit of grease on your fingers, rub them together then run the o-ring through your fingers to the point where the o-ring just glistens.

Also make sure you clean the groove in the housing where the o-ring sits. Qtips are good for this.

avoid jumping into the water with the camera, to avoid jarring the housing.
jump in and have someone hand you the camera

More good advice. Generally leaks tend to occur in the first few meters - after that the water pressure tends to compress the housing making a better seal, so care on the surface is a good idea.

Unfortunately, it's almost inevitable that you're housing will leak. It's not a question of "what can I do to stop my housing from leaking" but more a case of "how long can I delay the leak". But when that leak happens, just grin and bear it... work out what went wrong and learn from it so the next camera lasts a little longer.

achenry:
..but am also terrified at ruining my new ( and fairly expensive) camera!
Thanks a bunch,
achenry

My advice is tell yourself, in advance, that if you play the odds long enough, it will probably happen. Get insurance, write down the policy numbers, phone numbers, and file the receipts. When it happens, tell yourself, "oh well, what the hey, my children are healthy!" (or whatever)

Here is a picture of my friend's camera. Keep your sense of humor. He took the picture (for insurance) and then e-mailed it to all his photo friends, just to brighten our day.

catherine96821:
Here is a picture of my friend's camera. Keep your sense of humor. He took the picture (for insurance) and then e-mailed it to all his photo friends, just to brighten our day.

Ssssh! Quick, hide that photo Catherine! The Ikelite rep is coming... :wink:

If you want to avoid the chance of flooding your case, then don't dive with it :D Unfortunately it's true. Others have discussed the oring maintenance so I won't.

Get insurance, and do your best to be careful when closing the case that nothing is in the way. Some recommend dusting the oring with a brush, but guess what, those brushes can leave hairs, and yes, I've read about that happening. If you feel the need to get junk off your oring, use your fingers, or compressed air from the tank. Qtips can also leave deposits, so if you use them to clean the groove (which should not be necessary often), then let it dry if necessary, and then blow the groove out with compressed air.

I was discussing flooding with a professional one day, and he told the story about his last flood.... Dog Hair...

Once I have a good seal I generally leave my camera in the housing closed as long as possible to reduce the amount of times I'm opening and closing the case. Unfortunately with my camera, that is two dives due to battery consumption.

If you have a camera the does great with batteries, and a big enough card, you may be able to get away with four or more dives between battery charges, or card dumping.

Good Luck,

catherine96821:

Boy I'd HATE to flood a DSLR...

hahaha. Yes, it would make for a bad morning. Note: the friend bought the housing "used" and it flooded a few times. I wonder if it was just a "lemon". I have the same housing and I am not the most careful person.....knock on wood.

they say the salinity of ocean water reacts with the digital electronics and turns orange like rust almost immediately.

AndyNZ:
Also make sure you clean the groove in the housing where the o-ring sits. Qtips are good for this.........

Regular old cotton Q-tips are not a good idea. The cotton fibers on them can come off and be a source of trouble. The foam ones are fine.

I keep a small magnifying glass in my camera case. I carefully inspect the entire O-ring and it's mating surfaces very closely with it before closing the housing. I would suggest you only install your camera in your room or other clear area. I never open my housing on the beach or on a boat unless it’s absolutely necessary. On boats or on the beach it’s too easy to miss that one grain of sand and you usually have your mind on diving. After the dive, keep the housing wet if at all possible until you can soak and rinse the housing with fresh water. If you allow saltwater to dry on a housing, the salt crystals can cut the control O-rings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom