Help me understand the different options for a "locator" if I get lost at sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MiloR

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As the title states....Looking for a resource to learn about the different options.
There has been a lot of talk lately about these devices and I follow enough to know there are pretty big differences in the operation BUT my personal googling has not made it easier to understand as I am not even aware of what the different options are.

Can someone point me toward a resource?

There are really three different major systems: Two of them communicate with satellites, and one communicates with (relatively) nearby ships/boats or coastal/land stations. Which YOU need depends on your own needs and druthers; each of the three systems has its pros and cons.

The two satellite-based systems are a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) and a Satellite Messenger.
The PLB is a government-run system that sends your distress message to a Coast Guard-like facility which then dispatches help to your location. How it works internationally depends on the country where you are; some "coast guards" are more responsive and better equipped than others. Once you purchase and register your PLB, there are no more recurring costs. The actual search and rescue mission that answers your distress call may or may not be free. The PLBs must be put in a waterproof canister for use in scuba.
The Satellite Mesnger has several variants. the most popular for divers is the Garmin InReach Mini, which has a small waterproof case you can use; no canister needed. its distress message goes to a private, commercial opeation that initiates a rescue operation, possibly via the same Coast Guard that the PLB contacts. You can also send messages with the InReach, for example to family. There is a subscription fee for the Satellite Messengers.
It is important to note that the satellite-based systems are essentially global in coverage, although the actual local response to your distress call will be local and can vary in quality and speed.
There arel also some satllite bsed systems that have only regional coverage, but these a re not popular with divers.

The short-range ship and coastal-based system does NOT use satellites, and is limited in range to line-of-sight or slightly better, perhaps 50 km maximum distance to a really good and high antenna on a shore station, but typically 5-10km at most. They use VHF radio (like marine radio) and are package for divers kn a waterproof case. The Nautilus Lifeline is the most common. You push a button on it and a distress call is sent first to "your" boat that is programmed into the device, and then later to any boat in the vicinity that might hear you. This is a very efficient way to get help....but if you are not near shore or a suitably equipped ship, there is no one to hear you and help. There is no cost to these devices once you purchase them.

So what do YOU need? What is your use case? Nothing is perfect. You can carry more than one, of course.

Some reading, but be careful...some folks tend to call everything a PLB, which is not correct.

... and I follow enough to know there are pretty big differences in the operation.
Each option is different. You really need to post where and what dive sites you dive.
As an example in my regular southeast florida drift diving, a PLB can take an hour to get a response due to the verification checks needed. But with my 2way marine radio, I can instantly talk back and forth with my dive boat (or hundreds of nearby boats). On the other hand my radio would not be the best option for a trip to Cocos or even the Channel islands. Like all dive gear, there is not a single best option for all types of diving. So where do you dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom