Help me understand focus distance: Sony 24 - 105mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Opaul20

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Before I start, I understand that the Sony 24 - 105mm isn't an ideal option for underwater photography. Which has confused me because on paper it should be. With a wide enough 24mm I can shoot the big things and then get some Semi macro of the smaller things at 70-105mm. After using it, and reading on it, that doesn't seem the case.

I bought my housing (Seafrogs A7IV) with the intention of getting a 16-35mm. I unfortunately could not get my hands on one before heading out to Egypt and as my 24-105 fit my housing I thought what the heck I'll take that. While using it out there I felt the focus distance take a massive hit. After doing a fare bit of research I understand that dome ports are great at preventing distortion with wide angles but in return cause an increase in the focus distance, which is definitely not what I wanted. Im struggling to understand how different lens

Some of the solutions I have seen are adding diopter filters, say a +4, to increase that focus distance again. I've seen examples of people using the 24-105mm and getting great upclose/macro shots. Would this be what they would have used?
What are the downsides to using diopters?
Should I just get a flat port for it instead ?

I also wonder if using a 16-35mm I'll have the same problem. Does having a lense with a wider aperture help?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom