help me spend some money on a good suit for me!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
im a commercial shellfiserman and need some help finding a good drysuit for this winter(i dont know too much about drysuits, this will be my first). i walk on rocks/sharp debris all day long (i dont use fins because they get in the way when trying to walk forwards. i put on enough lead so all i have to do is lean forward and push/walk on the bottom.i found this to be the most efficient way to move around in my line of work.) so im going to need a tough boot.
if i bought a suit without intigrated boots i could buy different "external" boots when the old ones wear out, but i heard that these boots arent as warm as the intigrated boots. is this true? if i had the intigrated boots i would have to wear something over them so i wont wear a hole in them due to my day to day diving. i was thinking about cutting the fins off my fins so to just have the strap and the "shoe" part of the fin to protect my boots so i can push off my toes while walking around underwater.
due to my limited finaces and the fact that i have alot of other equipment that i need to buy i want to keep the drysuit under $1k. i have been looking at thes 2 drysuits.

Great deal on SEA ELITE TYPHOON NEXXUS FRONT ZIP DRY SUIT from Divers-Supply.com

Great deal on USIA AQUA PRO PLUS DRY SUIT from Divers-Supply.com

i spend about 6 hours a day under water, im 6ft1 180lbs, i need a front zip suit. i need coverd seals for what im going to be doing. im going to need a tough shell suit that can take a beating. can anyone help give some helpful advice? difference in warmth between intigrated boots vs nonintigrated? and how tough is vulcanized neoprene? what is vulcanized neoprene? what should i cover my feet with so i dont ruin my boots?im sorry i have so many questions. any suggestions on these suits or other suits to consider under $1k? any pertinent reply would be helpful. thank you, george

Well You Say, I need a tough shell suit, but that is kind of contradicting. Shell suits are nice for the mobility and options in undergarments but are not as tough as neoprene suits. If you want tough, get neoprene. They can be more bulky but 7mm of neoprene is much tougher then a few layers of nylon. I would go non integrated boots, i use these and they are still warm and tough. I have a USIA Aqua Pro Plus, I got it for the cost, great suit for your money, but it is a bilaminate, so not as tough if your in it every day.

im a commercial shellfiserman and need some help finding a good drysuit for this winter(i dont know too much about drysuits, this will be my first). i walk on rocks/sharp debris all day long (i dont use fins because they get in the way when trying to walk forwards. i put on enough lead so all i have to do is lean forward and push/walk on the bottom.i found this to be the most efficient way to move around in my line of work.) so im going to need a tough boot.
if i bought a suit without intigrated boots i could buy different "external" boots when the old ones wear out, but i heard that these boots arent as warm as the intigrated boots. is this true? if i had the intigrated boots i would have to wear something over them so i wont wear a hole in them due to my day to day diving. i was thinking about cutting the fins off my fins so to just have the strap and the "shoe" part of the fin to protect my boots so i can push off my toes while walking around underwater.
due to my limited finaces and the fact that i have alot of other equipment that i need to buy i want to keep the drysuit under $1k. i have been looking at thes 2 drysuits.

Great deal on SEA ELITE TYPHOON NEXXUS FRONT ZIP DRY SUIT from Divers-Supply.com

Great deal on USIA AQUA PRO PLUS DRY SUIT from Divers-Supply.com

i spend about 6 hours a day under water, im 6ft1 180lbs, i need a front zip suit. i need coverd seals for what im going to be doing. im going to need a tough shell suit that can take a beating. can anyone help give some helpful advice? difference in warmth between intigrated boots vs nonintigrated? and how tough is vulcanized neoprene? what is vulcanized neoprene? what should i cover my feet with so i dont ruin my boots?im sorry i have so many questions. any suggestions on these suits or other suits to consider under $1k? any pertinent reply would be helpful. thank you, george

I think you might have a hard time finding a durable siut for under 1K. I have only ever owned DUI Drysiuts, so I can't comment on the Whites or the USIA. The Clx 450 is the heavy duty shell model they make.
You may want to just wear fireman's boots over the drysuit socks. I've never spent a long period of time verticle in a drysuit, but it seems to me that it would be pretty hard to keep the squeeze off your feet without ballooning the rest of the suit. I agree with the other guy... crushed neoprene would be better.

thanks guys for your comments. i havent been to this site for a week or so(ive been buisy) and i bought the sea elite typhoon nexxus dry suit for $800. i was going to order the usia pro plus but is was on back order for 8 weeks, and the water is starting to get cold. so the deed is done, i bought the shell suit, hopefully this will last me a couple seasons or so. after this suit expires ill go crushed neopreon with the non intigrated boots. btw, scubakevdm im on my knees most of the time bent over fanning the bottom so hopefully i wont get the boot squeeze as much. the only time im "standing" is when im moving but im between 30-80 degree angle with the ground, depending on how much weight im carring. if i have 2 100lbs (yes 2 @100#) bags of quahogs then ill be moving at aprox 80degree. if just my 30lb weight belt then aprox 30 degree. anyways thanks for the comments guys, have fun and safe diving.

Back
Top Bottom