Help Me Spend My Money!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T.C.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
No, this isn't a 419 scam; though if you want to send me money, I'll accept it.

What I am interested in is some opinions, advice, options, or just flat out BS and anecdotes to help me plan an upcoming dive trip. I'm in Korea now, and in January of 2017, I'll be moving back to the States. I have from the beginning of January until the 5th of February to spend on a dive trip, and money that I've saved from being here that is starting to itch. So, if you'd like to offer your opinions/advice/options/anecdotes/BS, here's my parameters:
Time Frame: 5 Jan to 5 Feb, 2017
Budget: $4,000- but flexible by some.
Divers: Moi. Somewhat experienced diver, good with just about any conditions; no tech certs.
Interests: Photography; dive trip must offer above average chance of seeing nudibranchs and other small sea life.
Restrictions: I am in the Army, and thus, I can't go to places like Cuba (YET), the Red Sea, or Mexico (to include Cozumel now)

What I'm starting to research would be a liveaboard trip in the general area of southwestern Pacific. However, I am not limited to this. I will consider just about anywhere in the world, as well as shore-based venues. I'm looking for options, and value your opinion.

So please, let me know anything and everything that crosses your mind. I'll be grateful for the help.

Bonaire Buddy Dive Resort was a fun place to stay.

Last edited:
Man, there're so many places were you could go. I'd suggest you do a trip in 'region' since you're already in east Asia. You could do a live aboard and go to Komodo, Australia or Palau ... Australia or New Zealand are great that time of the year.... is there something more specific you want to see? The options really are countless.

If had a full month, I'd probably rent a car or a camper in OZ or NZ and dive in a bunch of different places.

OT question: Why can't you go to Mexico or Egypt as a GI? Not that I would suggest these places, just curious.

Since you are already in that part of the world, it would be a shame to miss a trip to the Philippines. You will never have such low airfare once you return to CONUS. Direct flights from Incheon to Clark or Manila will get you to Anilao, Puerto Galera and you could even dive some of the wrecks in Subic Bay.

You can also catch direct flights to Cebu. Malapascua Island and Moalboal might fit your itinerary. I really enjoy the folks at Savedra Dive Center in Moalboal, Cebu. They also have a "safari" trip that would provide access to a lot of different sites. dive safaris philippines

The savings you have in airfare may allow you to spring for one of the Siren Fleet boats. Philippines, Palau, even Truck are things to consider.

Since your in Korea, your most the way to some of the best diving on this little rock circling the sun. Go to Indonesia!
Off the hook epic diving? LOB in Raja Ampat, it's the main season in January. It's pretty pricey though. But since you have a month
I would suggest Bali-Komodo-Lembeh. You can get more diving in for your budget and see some of Indonesia's prime spots.

Bali can be done pretty cheap and has an excellent mix of wide angle and macro photography. Start on Lembongan for great drifting over corals, Manta's, and possible Mola Mola ( I've seen them there in Jan). After head up to Tulamben for some great macro critter action. Then hop over to the Gilli's for a bit of drinking and pretty girls.

Komodo is epic and can be done via LOB or land based. It's not the busy season for LOB's and Scuba Junkies has a well located resort which is a pretty good deal pricewise and a good way to dive Komodo. Komodo is epic and one of my favorite places in Indo to dive .It has everything from current charged dives to great great wide angle coral opportunity's, Manta's, some sharks and great macro as well.

Lembeh, what can I say? only some of the best macro critters in the world. ( I've been 4x). January isn't high season there, but the diving was great this last Jan when I was there. I liked the uncrowded boats, and the Nudibranch action was great.

Indonesia has some of the best the Coral Triangle has to offer, it would be a shame to miss this opportunity.

Indonesia is absolutely awesome and Raja Ampat is at it's best at that time of year. I would also definitely recommend the Philippines which is wonderful for nudis and sharks and turtles, the nudis in Anilao are just amazing.

I'm more of a travel guy than a diver, so from my point of view, use Korea as a jumping off point for places harder to get to from the US. For example, there's been some killer airfare to SE Asia the past year if you watch (600-800 RT). So rather than hit up the Phils or Indonesia, I'd take this opportunity to go somewhere else, like the Maldives, Seychelles, Mozambique if allowed. Or Palau or other South Pacific islands. Again I'm no expert on dive seasons or macro opportunities, but airfare is my specialty.

Thanks! I had planned to fly back to South Dakota, then head out on my trip, but thanks to the comments, I'm going to look into the possibility of flying straight to my dive trip, then back home. Even if I have to ship much of my uniforms via USPS, and don't get a free government flight out of Korea, doing that and a 1 way flight would be cheaper than a round trip from South Dakota (agree, Maverick?)

Cheaper flights means more diving.

Any recommendations on resorts/liveaboards by name? Indonesia and the Phillipines are starting to look more and more attractive as the destinations.

I've been to Buddy Dive and Bonaire several times- and this remains an option as well- but I've only been sporadically able to find true nudibranchs. The Lettuce Sea Slugs are everywhere, though.

Seven- good to see you again! Egypt and Mexico are under Defense Department travel restrictions due to the narcoterrorism (Mexico) and regular terrorism (Egypt). I'll go there if someone gives me my tank back, though.

Last edited:
Looking at an online map, you're fairly close to the Philippines, and a but further to Papua, New Guinea and the Indonesia region. Places I may never dive, too far, but you're fairly close, and you plan to be back in the U.S. later, so I can't imagine flying to the Caribbean to dive this time.

I've seen people post about macro life in part of the Philippines; seems like a great place to aim for. If I ever make it to that part of the world, I'd like to take a crack at a Komodo live-aboard since Komodo seems to be one of those places that's amongst the best-of-the-best by reputation, but it's known for drift diving. Those of you familiar with Komodo, if he's big on slowly moving along & hovering in place doing macro photography, is Komodo going to be a good match?

Richard.

if he's big on slowly moving along & hovering in place doing macro photography.
Anyone who has dove with me knows that I can be cheerfully left in one spot, certain in the knowledge that when you return ten minutes later, I'll still be there. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom