Help me plan an Oregon Weekend dive getaway!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewaiea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Who can recommend a good weekend dive getaway in Oregon (or perhaps southwestern Washington) during Feb 18-22. I'm passing through the area and was considering skiing but would be re-missed if I didn't think about diving opportunities. Obviously I would pick one or the other (skiing or diving), I can't do both on this trip.

I am drysuit certified but will need to rent a drysuit - I'm also interested in doing some boat diving if possible.

Who can help me out here?? My google searches have not turned up many charter opportunities and I have no first hand knowledge of these boats anyway. I'm flying and renting a car out of Portland International Airport.

Hi there- as much as I love our state, I have to admit that OR diving is just too unreliable to plan a trip around in the winter. It's doable, but you'll actually have to drive further than several better sites in WA. Unless you want to spearfish, pick WA.

In my opinion, your best bet for that time of year would be the Hood Canal. Specifically, Mike's Beach Resort would give you a good opportunity to get in several easy dives, including Flagpole, which is one of the better dive sites in the NW. There are a couple of charter operations in Hood Canal, but I don't have any experience with them. Mike's is about a 2.5 hour drive from PDX. PM me if you're interested, and I'll ask some of my dive buddies about their experiences on the charters.

There are also plenty of dive opportunites around Seattle, but I don't have any personal experience so I'm not going to run my mouth. I would suggest checking out our regional forum called nwdiveclub . com for all the info you could possibly want.

Good luck!

You won't find a dive charter, but fishing boats are an option in most ports. Unfortunately, they are pricey to charter.

Finding a decent day is not too likely, however. You'll need about a three to five days of exceptional weather for it to settle enough to make a decent and safe rec dive.

I'd plan on skiing.

Who can recommend a good weekend dive getaway in Oregon (or perhaps southwestern Washington) during Feb 18-22. I'm passing through the area and was considering skiing but would be re-missed if I didn't think about diving opportunities. Obviously I would pick one or the other (skiing or diving), I can't do both on this trip.

I am drysuit certified but will need to rent a drysuit - I'm also interested in doing some boat diving if possible.

Who can help me out here?? My google searches have not turned up many charter opportunities and I have no first hand knowledge of these boats anyway. I'm flying and renting a car out of Portland International Airport.

I think I'll be skiing. Mt Hood over President's Day weekend, probably a better way to enjoy winter in Oregon. Thanks for the incite folks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom