Help me pick a dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I are also doing an AOW class and need lights. I already have a PCa but will also need a backup light for my wife and a primary for us to share. We're doing our class in Monterey and then a trip to Cozumel in May. We're doing our class with Sport Chalet in CA and get a 10% discount if we buy through them, but if a better light can be found elsewhere, I'd rather go with that. We're not super-active divers, usually just a few a year and prefer warm water diving. Need for class the weekend of March 19th. Thanks for the help!

My wife and I are also doing an AOW class and need lights. I already have a PCa but will also need a backup light for my wife and a primary for us to share. We're doing our class in Monterey and then a trip to Cozumel in May. We're doing our class with Sport Chalet in CA and get a 10% discount if we buy through them, but if a better light can be found elsewhere, I'd rather go with that. We're not super-active divers, usually just a few a year and prefer warm water diving. Need for class the weekend of March 19th. Thanks for the help!

One aspect when picking out a light is how it feels in your hands & what style you think you'll be comfortable with. For recreational diving, I find that women like the Princeton Tec Mini Wave (Halogen or LED) for a main light (not overly big, big beam and pistol grip). In my experience, it is well worth it to make her as comfortable as possible, in return, more diving for you. For a good price point for a backup light, you can go with a Princeton Tec Tec40.

Here is an example of a Pkg:
Princeton Tec Travel Pack TP *Buy Princeton Tec at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

If you don't need everything in the Pkg then you can order the lights individually. LED's are a nice option (reliability, cleaner light) but they are a little more in price.

I need a primary for AOW too. Is the Penetrator is good choice my this usage? How spotty is it? should I have a spot or flood primary? My backup is UK SL4 LED.

Penetrator 220 will be good if they ever ship :(

Mine shipped from Piranha yesterday. Should be here Monday.

Henrik

Mine shipped from Piranha yesterday. Should be here Monday.

Henrik

hmm, so ya didn't go with the mbsub lights after all ??? Oh well, my 3rd X1-VB has been shipped out to me and I'll get it early next week.... plus my PHOTON 2 / VB-50 LED combo is on the way in from Germany and I should get that in a couple of weeks ! :)

the Dorcy lights are a complete non-starter for me, I'll take magnetic light switching any day of the week over the obsolete twist on/twist off (flood prone and accidentally activated 'on' by mere water pressure) light head technology.

They shipped yesterday and I also received a satisfactory email from Dorcy, which explains they were having problems getting the proper control circuit.

Adam

did you get your 'beta tester' discount ? :)

hmm, so ya didn't go with the mbsub lights after all ???

Not yet ... let me put it that way :)

I'd placed the Dorcy/Penetrator order with Piranha when they first posted the pre-order special, so I've just been waiting.

I'm currently doing some training where twisty is a "must", and as such the Dorcys looks like they will be very nice lights and certainly a much better value per $$ than the "name brands".

I am still looking at the MB-Sub lights. I think the X1-VB might be the perfect clear water night dive primary. The VB-50 could be an equally excellent primary for less than optimal viz conditions (i.e. everything local to me :))

But the pricing was just too "painful" for me at the moment. I'm hoping to get to fondle the MB-Sub lights at BTS next week. However, if you're not expecting yours until a couple of weeks from now, Golem Gear may not have them at the show either. We'll see.

the Dorcy lights are a complete non-starter for me, I'll take magnetic light switching any day of the week over the obsolete twist on/twist off

I don't mind the twisty lights as much. I've been wrenching on mechanical stuff for many years, so the direction of loosen/tighten are pure reflex by now. I suspect that at least some floods may be simple mistakes. As for the turning on at depth - a quick "push on the bezel" test should eliminate most of them.

I have an old Halcyon Scout (upgraded with home-made LED), and I did a bit of testing: an extra 1/4 turn from off makes it impossible for me to "light" the light by pushing on the bezel. An additional 1/4 turn should pretty much secure the light being off without getting close to the sealing o-ring. It really all depends on the thread pitch of the head-to-body as well as machining tolerances. My W200 from DX has aluminum body and head with a finer thread pitch and take even less of a twist to turn off securely.

So not so much of a deal-breaker to me. Of course, now that I've thoroughly "jinxed" myself we'll see how long my twisty lights last :wink:

Henrik

The twisty lights that are a problem in my experience have just been the small plastic UK/Pelican type of lights.

I do like magnetic lights if done well but as was mentioned the W200 works quite well with the twisty actuation.

Back
Top Bottom