Help me over analyze on a 3mm: Deep6, Waterproof, Mako

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SomeGuy509

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I have a trip coming up to Florida in mid December. Right now my only exposure protection is a Bare 8/7 semi dry. I am looking for something thinner for the warmer water. I may also end up using it in Japan/Thailand next year.

I do some local diving here in CT but it's been in season on the sound where a 3mm is most likely warm enough (it was 75f at depth). I figure if I head up to Mass or Main I can use the Bare. I am looking for something that can do the job for the warmer local stuff but will also work on the boats down in Florida.

I have narrowed it down to 3 (4) options:

Deep6 3mm: I really the built in pockets since I run BP/W and it save me the cost of adding my own later. I like how it has seals on the wrists and ankles. Also think it looks really cool. My only concern is I am 6'2" and 175 so I am a bit between sizes. I will probably end up calling Deep6 to discuss but input there is appreciated.

Waterproof W3: Seems to share some features with the Deep6 namely the wrist and ankle seals. Not sure if all the zippers are more trouble then they are worth. I like how the are available in tall sizes however, which would seem to allow a truer fit.

Mako 3mm: Leads on price and people seem to say these are very warm. The main thing holding me back is doffing and donning. I've watched the video on the Mako site and for shore diving and a larger boat don't seem much of an issue. Integrated hood is a double edge sword, good for warmth but I appreciate the comfor of not having to use on all the time. What about on a smaller 6 pack though?

Am I trying to cover too many different uses with a single piece of exposure protection? I am sort of ignoring that for New England a dry suit would be really nice. I just don't have any sort of timeline for that yet. Appreciate the input!

Hi All,

I have a trip coming up to Florida in mid December. Right now my only exposure protection is a Bare 8/7 semi dry. I am looking for something thinner for the warmer water. I may also end up using it in Japan/Thailand next year.

I do some local diving here in CT but it's been in season on the sound where a 3mm is most likely warm enough (it was 75f at depth). I figure if I head up to Mass or Main I can use the Bare. I am looking for something that can do the job for the warmer local stuff but will also work on the boats down in Florida.

I have narrowed it down to 3 (4) options:

Deep6 3mm: I really the built in pockets since I run BP/W and it save me the cost of adding my own later. I like how it has seals on the wrists and ankles. Also think it looks really cool. My only concern is I am 6'2" and 175 so I am a bit between sizes. I will probably end up calling Deep6 to discuss but input there is appreciated.

Waterproof W3: Seems to share some features with the Deep6 namely the wrist and ankle seals. Not sure if all the zippers are more trouble then they are worth. I like how the are available in tall sizes however, which would seem to allow a truer fit.

Mako 3mm: Leads on price and people seem to say these are very warm. The main thing holding me back is doffing and donning. I've watched the video on the Mako site and for shore diving and a larger boat don't seem much of an issue. Integrated hood is a double edge sword, good for warmth but I appreciate the comfor of not having to use on all the time. What about on a smaller 6 pack though?

Am I trying to cover too many different uses with a single piece of exposure protection? I am sort of ignoring that for New England a dry suit would be really nice. I just don't have any sort of timeline for that yet. Appreciate the input!

I got the Deep6 3mm recently and I cannot be more impressed at the quality.

Neoprene: The neoprene was nothing short of amazing. The quality as compared to a cheap 3mm one I got at $60 was miles apart.

Fit: The size S fits me perfect in terms of length of the limbs, the shoulders, torso and legs. I suspect you'll get a better answer in terms of fit by calling the cool guys at Deep 6. I believe they are back from DEMA as well today.

Kevlar Pads: I like the Kevlar parts near the shoulder region since I use a BPW as well. It is nice to know that the webbing will not be causing premature wear along areas of friction. It comes in the knee and crotch area as well.

Hermetic Seal: This is real good stuff. I can't speak enough of it, but if you do get one, you will be VERY pleased with it. The seal is very well done and does what its supposed to do.

Little details: Grip pads on the forearms, reflective patches, GIANT pockets (which some says cost $50 to add to an existing wetsuit), glide skin at the wrist and ankle areas.

Over all I think you will be pleasantly pleased with the Deep 6 and I think it's a good idea to get one soon under the Black Friday sales. Really good price as well.

The suit you should get is the suit that fits your body the best. If you can't try on the suits you are interested in before you purchase then the recommendation would be to purchase the suit that costs the least.

All the brands you mention make quality products and have good reputations. Any recommendation for a specific product that will suit you is conjecture at best. The only substitute for gear that doesn't fit well is gear that you don't pay a lot for...and even then it is only a poor substitute at best.

-Z

Mako doesn't carry my size but I have a similar unlined freediving suit from one of their competitors, in 3mm, that I like. I find freediving suits to be warmer, more comfortable, less restrictive than one piece suits. I like the integral hood. Wet suits wear out, so cost is a factor as well.

Freediving suits have to be put on wet, so it takes longer. I use a trigger spray bottle with water and a tiny amount of hair conditioner. For a boat dive I put the pants on right away, and spray the top so it's ready. It works for me. For shore dives if it's over 70 F or so I'll just put the suit on in the water, get back out, and put on the rest of my gear.

I got the Deep6 3mm recently and I cannot be more impressed at the quality.

Hermetic Seal: This is real good stuff. I can't speak enough of it, but if you do get one, you will be VERY pleased with it. The seal is very well done and does what its supposed to do.

What is the "hermetic seal" and how does it work?

Thanks!

What is the "hermetic seal" and how does it work?

Thanks!

On places where the neoprene is joint, the threads are covered with a seal that prevents the entry of water via the seams. That translates to a higher degree of warmth.

Thanks for input so far.

I totally get fitment is a big deal. It took quite a while before I settled on the bare but it fits great and I attribute that to being able to get the tall size from them.

I would guess the Hermetic seal is sort of like what I have seen with the black seems on some aqualung suits?

Can anyone post photos of the neck seal area. This is always the weak point and there are none on their site.

What about the Bare 3mm? You already know how they fit you. I have the Reactive and love it.

I like the reactive but wish it had less compressable neoprene and I like the pockets on the deep 6. so always looking for perfection. . .

Back
Top Bottom