Help me identify this Curacao dive resort...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sjspeck:
And no wooden pathways - are there? - at least not at beach level. QUOTE]

Indeed, you're correct -- no wooden pathways at Sunset Waters. I read "small opening in the barrier reef" and "wall just beyond the lagoon" and instantly flashed back. (Still, it was one of the best vacations I've ever had!)

I like Damsel's suggestion, though: start researching all over. You might find something even better! And I'll give a nod to SW and their dive op.

I've been there too (off an RCCL cruise). The dive shop was Toucan Divers; it's apparently part of Ocean Encounters. But I don't remember the name of the resort either. Maybe the dive shop name will help your search.

Lots of leads so far, and it sounds like I can't go wrong with Sunset Waters either.

drl- I'll check with that dive outfit and see. How long ago did you visit there?

Glock,
I think it was a year ago March. Just found some info online, it's Toucan Divers at Kontiki Beach.
http://www.curacao-toucandiving.com/
I don't think there is a hotel onsite.
BTW, I've also been to Sunset Waters (in April) and enjoyed it very much. The beach was not as nice as Kontiki but the hotel was pleasant and the dive shop was great.

If it's Toucan, then there's some plan to re-develop KonTiki. I've seen artists renderings somewhere of what it will look like.

I'd look farther West since the diving is better. Habitat Curacao, Sunset Waters or Lodge Kura Hulanda. Of the three you'll find that the best diving is at Kura Hulanda in West Punt - Playa Kalki and Alice in Wonderland, followed by Habitat then Sunset Waters. We dove all three and I'd rate them in that order. Best boat dive is Watamula west of Kura Hulanda. Most of the diveops, even ones in the city go there weekly.

Rent a car if you're considering any of them, otherwise you're mostly stuck there. KH is 45min. to an hr. from town, Habitat and Sunset are in pretty remote locations. They all have shuttles to town but what a pita. Especially since there's such great shorediving all over the island.

Unless you want to be nearer to town, then look at either Lions Dive, Breezes or the Marriott. I wasn't too impressed with the reef off Lions Dive either, at least where we went for the Dolphin dive, it was pretty barren. But it may be better to the west.

Ocean Encounters is the largest dive operation on Curacao. They own/run the facilities at Lions Dive, Toucan/Kontiki, Breezes and Kura Hulanda. I had a good overall experience with them at both Lions Dive and Kura Hulanda.

Edit: I agree with what DF posted below, Habitat looked a little tired last April. Sunset Waters looked worse. Depends what you're looking for. Of the two, I'd pick Habitat, at least the diving is better.

Good summary fromsjspeck. (Though I've had a few bad experiences with OE. I like the op at Habitat much better though the hotel is going downhill and the food/restaurant leaves much to be desired.)

I stayed at Lions Dive once long ago and wasn't too impressed with shore diving from there either. If I wanted to stay near town I would probably choose the Marriott over Breezes/Lions Dive - but your preference would depend on what type of place you liked and how you plan to dive. The Marriott boat seems to spend at least some time at the sites further to the west.

AND THE WINNER IS....

Toucan Divers/ Kontiki Beach! Thanks to the leads, guys. I emailed Toucan and gave them the description, and they said it was Kontiki. Sounds like they're still affiliated with RCCL.

Now, just to find time to get back there... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom