Help me find a reliable dig camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I bought 2 Sealife cams over the last 4 years. The first one lasted about 7 dives and leaked. The next gen Sealife cam bought this year failed after 2 dives. (all dives were under 80 feet) $700+ wasted dollars later I will never buy another Sealife product - 2 dive vacations ruined with no photos.

I used to use 2 Nikonos so know all about O ring maint. The problem with the Nikons are my photos stunk. With dig cams my photos look good.

All I want is a reliable UW dig cam or housing cam that is affordable and uses AA batts. What do you rec?

Thanks

The Olympus Tough T6000 or T8000 should be the answer for you, as they are shockproof, waterproof, freezeproof, crush proof. The T8000 can be used to 33' without a housing. The housings are very good quality, but if it should leak your camera probably won't be hurt.

T8000-PT-045.jpg

They have up to 4 built in UW modes and good quality 28mm lenses. The Fantasea W/A lenses will fit the housings as well.

However, they, nor most other newer digicams, don't use AA batteries. Most use smaller lithium batteries that last very well.

There is a instant rebate going on on the T8000 for $30 off until June 22nd, which makes it a great deal.

I have a blog article here on them as well.

Thanks,
Jack

The Olympus Tough T6000 or T8000 should be the answer for you, as they are shockproof, waterproof, freezeproof, crush proof. The T8000 can be used to 33' without a housing. The housings are very good quality, but if it should leak your camera probably won't be hurt.

T8000-PT-045.jpg

They have up to 4 built in UW modes and good quality 28mm lenses. The Fantasea W/A lenses will fit the housings as well.

However, they, nor most other newer digicams, don't use AA batteries. Most use smaller lithium batteries that last very well.

There is a instant rebate going on on the T8000 for $30 off until June 22nd, which makes it a great deal.

I have a blog article here on them as well.

Thanks,
Jack

Does the same case work with both? I only saw the 8000 lsited with the case, not the 6000.

No, there are two different housings. PT-045 for T8000 and PT-047 for the T6000. Both are on my site and in stock.

Jack

If a camera is waterproofed up to 3mts, will putting it in an UW case thats tested to 40mts, save it fr leaks/flood at that depth?

No camera will survive if you don't keep the o-rings of the housing clean of debris, lightly lubricated with the proper grease and installed in the housing o-ring grooves without twisting. The anwser to the WP camera in a housing is it has a better chance of survival but with a serious flood the water pressure at depth will still likely ruin the camera. A leak that is detected early in a dive without a full flood and brought to the surface before pressure builds it may survive where other non WP cameras would not.
The Oly is a decent camera in it's class although considering the price I prefer the Fuji F series cameras. The Fuji housings are among the best of the OEM housings sporting a double o-ring design. The cost saving of the Fuji would probably allow for a backup camera in the same budget when compared to the Oly toughs and in side by side performance I'd go with the Fuji.

im looking at Panasonic Lumix ZS3. Not sure of their OEM case reliability, but dnt wanna spend on 10bar.
Any feedback abt this cam?

Which particular Fuji F model? pics ok w/o external fash?

Back
Top Bottom