Help me decide on lights...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

subscribed

The Sola's come in Photo, Video and Dive versions. The Photo have additional red LED's for use as a focus light without scaring things away. The Dive version has a 2nd set of LED's so can switch from flood to spot. The dedicated Video version and some of the others have 6 LED's around the perimeter in which case will all do the same job. Some of the lower powered Sola's have a row of 4 or a tight group of 3 and won't have as wide or even beam as the 6 LED Video lights. Whatever you end up with you need 2 of unless you want to just light up the circular centre of your frame with one light.

I really love the Sola's, they are expensive but you get what you pay for and they hold their value if you want to trade up or move on.

I did some night dives with my new Edge morph 1000 with two video heads. HD Hero 3 black camera. In a word, AWESOME! I'll share some of the video once I get a chance to chop it up. I could light the whole frame, and only a small "hotspot" where light from the two heads overlapped. The only thing I didn't like about the setup is the rechargeable canister. I think I might try and get a second one so I can use it more frequently on my next trip. It was a little tricky getting the two heads aimed properly to illuminate the whole frame. Would have been far easier if I had the LCD backpack on the HERO.

I had numerous comments from other divers, instructors and the boat crew about how much they liked the lights.

Here's a frame from the gopro with the Morph 1000 lights. vlcsnap-2013-07-01-12h20m52s171.jpg

I've just ordered the LightForMe GoPro 'Kit'.

Two 900 Lumen (120 degree) LED at 6000k on a goodmans handle. So 1800ish of power.

Too be honest I already use a nice handle (iSteadyShot) so will be using the lights and ball joints off the LFM kit and drilling some holes in my current handle and using that, two handed gopro is much steadier than using a Goodmans....

Will report back, once I have it and used it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom